Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Used sources? What size stainless steel rub rail

What width solid stainless steel rub-rail is used on our boats from factory (I'm away from the boat, and it has rubber stuff anyway).

3/4" is nearly half the price of 1" solid. Regardless, it all is a fortune and way up from some old posts I saw 5-10 years ago (what happened to no inflation and improving economy).

Also, any place to get used pieces/salvage pieces/surplus/etc.

It's all made by Taco, it seems.

Oh, did I mention, a damn ripoff? I think it may be better for me to buy a scrap boat LOL

Edit: I travel all around the east coast from NY to Florida.....in an RV most of the time. So I can pick up the motherload if needed.
    Last edited by krush; 10-30-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: Used sources? What size stainless steel rub rail

Sailorman often has the 1' solid. I picked up 2 20' sections I don't recall the price, but I only needed 7.5'

It's not easy to ship, I had a boat hauler pick it up.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Agree about Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale. Some years ago I stopped in to look around and came across a large amount of brand new 1" solid rub rail material. The price was so good that I bought a bunch of it. We needed to cut it into lengths that fit into my SUV (debur the cut edges to save the upholstery). When I got around to using it, we just welded the cut edges together as needed with 316 welding wire. After polishing it was impossible to find the seams. One of the main uses was to replace the 3/4" solid rub rail on my swim platform. We made a templet of the corner radius's and heated the SS enough to easily bend around the radius screwing it down to the template as you proceed, otherwise you may get kinks at the screw holes. After cooling down it was polished back to a high shine and screwed on. BTW I made the thing as one piece, no seams which required a fairly long length of SS.

BTW is you have a boneyard for boats available, you can probably get some at a reasonable price. The used material may require some restoration/polishing to make it nice again.

Walt

1". We have a boat yard near me that cuts up derelict boots. he keeps the good stuff and sells some to scrap yards and the rest to boaters in need of parts. See if you have a yard like that near you. You can always check Craigslist as well. Good luck 👍🍀
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Don's Salvage in Largo Fl has a large supply of used stainless.
    They usually want about 70 percent of new prices. But you can definitely negotiate with them !
    They are on the web. Great suggestion to cut into ship able lengths then weld.
    Capt. Rob

Let me add info to the original post:

I travel all around the east coast from NY to Florida.....in an RV most of the time. So I can pick up the motherload if needed.

Still looking for 1" solid SS rub rail. I got about 15' off ebay for cheap, just need say 90 feet more!

Thee is also a used boat supply in Ft Pierce. Sorry do not recall the name.

Bobk

Thanks to boatsb, I got used rub rail....and it made it home....combined with the stuff I got from him, and my ebay find, I may have enough! Too bad that was the easy part, no it has to get installed (after painting, next year project).

I still may need a few more feet, so if anybody knows of any solid 1inch SS rub rail, let me know!

Some time between 2008 and now, I lost a 7' section of the 1" rail from my Roamer. If anybody in MD knows where I can find some, I'd be much obliged.