Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trip South Details

I just finished my trip South from Long Island to Jupiter, Florida. As I did when I went North in the Spring, I thought I would post some figures in case it might help someone else along the way. Here goes:

Total Nautical Miles 1,100
    Total Gallons Burned 4,440.55
    Total Cost of Fuel $11,011.45
    Running Hours 77.50
    Average NM/Hr (unweighted) 14.19
    Dockage costs $726

A few salient facts about the trip South. First, it took six running days plus one overnight to beat some bad weather in Florida. Six of those running days were at cruise speed of between 17-18 knots (but slower from Hampton to Beaufort) and from New Smyrna to Jupiter on the inside. The overnight was at 10-12 knots. Second, diesel fuel averaged about $2.50 for the trip with a low of about $2.18 at in Hampton to a high of about $2.75 in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.
    Third, here is the route/stops we made along the way to fuel/eat and sleep:

Huntington Yacht Club to Atlantic City (Kammermans) (elapsed time 8.6 hours/128 nm.)
    A.C to Hampton (elapsed time 11.2 hours/183 nm.)
    Hampton to Beaufort (elapsed time 14.1 hours/191 nm.)
    Beaufort to Charleston (elapsed time 13.5 hours/216 nm. to fuel only, turn and burn)
    Charleston to N. Smyrna Beach (elapsed time 19.2 hours/252 nm. includes overnight chug)
    N. Smyrna Beach to Jupiter (elapsed time 10.9 hours/140nm.)

This trip was made a few days after Hurricane Matthew. We encountered little, if any, debris, outside or inside, but did encounter a bit of gouging on the fuel prices down South. The remains of Hurricane Nicole were ever present but just created a large but gentle swell on the outside.
    Mechanicals were nearly perfect except for losing my third air conditioning water pump in about as many years on the trip. These pumps seem to have a very short life span, at least, for me.
    Hope this helps.

Re: Trip South Details

Great data. I remember reading your account last year and found it very informational. Can't wait to make the trip myself, and this kind of information is really great to have. Thanks for posting!

I just wanted to add a minor complaint that I neglected to mention. At three of the fuel stops, one in Virginia, one in North Carolina, and one in Florida, sales tax was added on to my bill on top of the price listed on the pump. At each of these three places, we had called ahead of time to ask the price per gallon for fuel, since there are always other places to go. At none of the the three did anyone mention sales tax gets added to the price at the pump. Just for the record, I took over 2,200 gallons at these three places.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I just wanted to add a minor complaint that I neglected to mention. At three of the fuel stops, one in Virginia, one in North Carolina, and one in Florida, sales tax was added on to my bill on top of the price listed on the pump. At each of these three places, we had called ahead of time to ask the price per gallon for fuel, since there are always other places to go. At none of the the three did anyone mention sales tax gets added to the price at the pump. Just for the record, I took over 2,200 gallons at these three places.
    I've seen the sales tax thing in Florida for fifteen years, but not in VA or NC. If you check Active Captain Fuel Lists you will find the bottom line including taxes, assembled in order of price and by state.

Bobk

Appreciate the info, good perspective. An alternative for fuel in New Smyrna is to call Lynch Oil and they will deliver a fuel truck to a location down town to fill your boat right along the ICW.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Thanks for the help. For some reason, none of the locations in the three "tax" added places was on Active Captain. I even called to check yesterday and each one said they do, indeed, add tax to the price listed on the pump so it was no mistake. However, the folks were nice at each of these locations so I guess that may make up for the "tax" issue. I do want to add one other item to the report. Please understand that I have no affiliation with the product. I added the super concentrated Diesel Kleen to my main tanks before I started the trip. The nautical miles traveled were about the same, the average speed was about the same but my fuel usage was way down. I have no idea why and can only attribute it to the Diesel Kleen. Bottom condition, wheels, temps, perceived currents, etc were all the same as usual but my fuel usage went down by about 10%. That's a big number when previously burning close to 5,000 for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I've seen the sales tax thing in Florida for fifteen years, but not in VA or NC. If you check Active Captain Fuel Lists you will find the bottom line including taxes, assembled in order of price and by state.

Bobk
    I've paid sales tax in NC at the dock and from a fuel truck. Price was always listed before tax, same as Fl. VA had a form you fill out for tax exemption if the boat is not a VA registered or documented vessel. I believe that no longer exist but not certain.
    Jack Sardina

Live in NC and have always paid sales tax on diesel fuel regardless of weather from marina or fuel truck. What you don't get charged is road tax in NC on diesel but you do get charged road tax on gasoline.

9. Re: Trip South Details

Another alternative, which we used, is to fuel in Fort Pierce. We chose the City Marina since we'd stayed there before. Lowest fixed prices [tax included] within 100 miles [according to the Salty Southeast], plus discounts if you stay at the marina and for BoatUS. Advertised price was $2.36 on October 10; but with discounts we paid $2.26 for 700 gals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    Appreciate the info, good perspective. An alternative for fuel in New Smyrna is to call Lynch Oil and they will deliver a fuel truck to a location down town to fill your boat right along the ICW.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

This time of year, with relatively short days, our fuel stops were really dictated by where we needed to end the day to avoid traveling at night. As it was, we pulled into Atlantic City at night, left in the dark from Hampton and pulled into Beaufort at night and the same for Charleston where we ran all night thereafter until we pulled into New Smyrna Beach just before dark. On the trip North, we did fuel along the way rather than at the end of the day, wherever prices dictated doing so.