Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Trip South Details

I was under the impression that with proper paperwork most states will refund sales tax on marine fuel if you're a non-resident.

I could also be under the wrong impression.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I was under the impression that with proper paperwork most states will refund sales tax on marine fuel if you're a non-resident.

I could also be under the wrong impression.
    In my experience taxes are something I pay and rarely see anything refunded.
    Jack Sardina

In California sales tax is incorporated into the price both for gas and diesel. Great story by the way.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Most pumps in Florida show the price with tax, the exception being commercial type fuel docks where they deal with commercial tax free boats.

Another little known fact is that when you are fueling before heading to the Bahamas, you do not have to pay sales tax. Most marinas aren't aware of this and don't do it but fuel delivery trucks and commercial docks will. Just keep a copy of th Bahamas cruising permit on file in case FLDOR ever ask for proof
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    In my experience taxes are something I pay and rarely see anything refunded.
    It's probably also not worth the effort. By the time you find the forms, fill them out and mail the whole mess to get a few dollars back most people won't bother.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Sales tax collection depends on the state law, but almost every state is going to collect sales tax on anything sold in person.

At gas stations for cars the tax is already included. In VA, if buying gas for a boat, one can submit and get a refund for the ROAD tax (not sales taxes).

Red diesel doesn't have the road tax on it, in VA, so there is no point in trying to submit for a refund. But, one can buy road diesel and put in a boat, and then submit to get the road tax back (this potentially could be cheaper than red diesel if one finds a super cheap price at the pump).
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381