Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Onan MDKD Fuse Location

That was a different definition of "wrong", but you knew that.

Seriously, I respect Dave's opinion as much (if not more) than anyone elses I know, but there was an "if" in his diagnosis. The "if" didn't apply in this case, again, in my opinion having started that generator every day for almost two weeks. It's obvious (even to me) that too much current through a fuse makes it do its job. That being said, who knows if this is an original fuse that's now 27 years old?

I'm guessing nothing works forever, and replacing that fuse "might" do the trick. Then again, the fuse may not even be the issue. It was just something quick and easy that could have had him up and generating in a few minutes... if it weren't in such a gawd awful location.

I'll let you guys know when he figures out what the problem is. Maybe he'll even come on here an tell us himself.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

A meter is a wonderful thing.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I want to thank everyone for their input on this thread and especially thank Randy for all of his help with my boat. He has been a Godsend!Robby, I too wish we could have connected at Joe Wheeler. Unfortunately we had to quickly vacate the premises due to the Great Loopers coming in. Thanks for looking after the boat. Hopefully we can meet soon.My wife and I are new to boating but with Randy's help we successfully made a 9 day trip from Joe Wheeler to Chattanooga and now back to Goose Pond where it will stay for awhile.The problem with the generator started while we were at Hale's Bar. In the morning the power to the Marina abruptly went out while we were connected to shore power. That prompted me trying to start the generator but nothing happened, not even a "click". Randy looked at it for me and then started this thread for me.I have not been able to get it working and now I have had to return to my home in Albuquerque 1000 miles away. I guess I will need to call some sort of mechanic. After reading the other thread about diesel mechanics near Chattanooga it doesn't seem that guy ever found any help. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Also, If you guys don't mind I will be more frequent on these boards because I want to learn to take care of most basic stuff myself. I actually am proud to say that I was able to troubleshoot our clogged vacuflush head and take apart the tubing and it now works!!!Thanks again,Craig

Thanks for the kind words, Craig. It was a pleasure spending time with you and your family. I don't know anybody around Goose Pond personally that I would/could recommend, but you can probably fix that generator problem with a little help from the membership here. No doubt they've been a big help to me over the past ten years that I've been a part of this forum.

Oh yeah, for the record, I did NOT clog that head.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post

Still have to wonder why they placed the fuse at that spot vs up around where the start/stop switch is.
    You put a fuse close to the power source which is the starter with the BIG RED cable. If it was up at the switch the wire running to the switch would not be protected and could short out and the fuse would never blow.

Thats why Onan put it there its not their fault when installed in the boat its hard to get to. So with the mirror you most likely could have found it.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    You put a fuse close to the power source which is the starter with the BIG RED cable. If it was up at the switch the wire running to the switch would not be protected and could short out and the fuse would never blow.

Thats why Onan put it there its not their fault when installed in the boat its hard to get to. So with the mirror you most likely could have found it.
    I would have to think a LOT of these gensets are installed close to bulkheads. Many of mine have been. In the interest of helping Craig, is that an inline fuse that affects only the starter circuit?

Maybe you or somebody else (with one of these units that's not crammed up against a bulkhead) can post a photo that would help him.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93