Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Onan MDKD Fuse Location

The short (no pun intended) of it is, nothing happens when I try starting it from the remote panel or the genset itself. No clicking, no nothing. Ran fine yesterday but wouldn't turn over this morning.

Went online and found the manual that mentions a fuse, but it doesn't say where it is. I've looked and can't find it. Scott told me how to check things using a meter, but there isn't one on the boat.

Help?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Onan MDKD Fuse Location

If it like mine their is a glass fuse in a holder hidden above the starter

Like I told Randy. Check power at the starter and then Follow the power to the switch.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerfun View Post
    If it like mine their is a glass fuse in a holder hidden above the starter
    I couldn't even get to the starter on this thing and never did find the fuse. A blown fuse would be the simplest fix, even though something obviously caused the fuse to blow. Seems pretty dumb to put a fuse in spot that's inaccessible, so who knows? For what it's worth, this one is mounted centerline ahead of the engines almost right up against the bulkhead. It's gonna take somebody REALLY skinny and REALLY flexible to get to that side if that's where this fuse is. Starter is on that side.

This was on the 40 I delivered to Joe Wheeler a few weeks ago, and the new owners made their first solo trip up to Chattanooga today where I told them I would drive down and meet them, just to say hello. This problem cropped up this morning at Hales Bar when they tried to fire the genny, and I was hoping to be able to get them going while I was there. Back home now, and they're just going to wait until they return to Goose Pond, their new home marina, and have it checked there.

He's on the HOF and watching this thread, so if any of you have any more input, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Like I told Randy. Check power at the starter and then Follow the power to the switch.
    Yes, Forrest, I said that already.

As always, thanks for your help.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Yes it was tight for me as well I had to reach over the genny and blindly find the the fuse by feel. It was an in line on a wire once you cut the ties it came up a bit but still had to replace it look at the opisite side of the motor. Go go gadget arms and X-ray vision. Bad place to have a fuse was an understatement.

I checked my MDKD and found the fuse in the fuse holder.

So check there first.

Hope that helps.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Thumbs up Re: Onan MDKD Fuse Location

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I couldn't even get to the starter on this thing and never did find the fuse. A blown fuse would be the simplest fix, even though something obviously caused the fuse to blow. Seems pretty dumb to put a fuse in spot that's inaccessible, so who knows? For what it's worth, this one is mounted centerline ahead of the engines almost right up against the bulkhead. It's gonna take somebody REALLY skinny and REALLY flexible to get to that side if that's where this fuse is. Starter is on that side.

This was on the 40 I delivered to Joe Wheeler a few weeks ago, and the new owners made their first solo trip up to Chattanooga today where I told them I would drive down and meet them, just to say hello. This problem cropped up this morning at Hales Bar when they tried to fire the genny, and I was hoping to be able to get them going while I was there. Back home now, and they're just going to wait until they return to Goose Pond, their new home marina, and have it checked there.

He's on the HOF and watching this thread, so if any of you have any more input, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.
    I hope he sees this:I was watching for you and would Have helped you in any way.We watched over your boat while it was here.We got moved into another slip the day you got here and Sue on"Be Having" got you going.Sorry I did not get to meet you!!!!Robby
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    I checked my MDKD and found the fuse in the fuse holder.

So check there first.

Hope that helps.
    Brillyunt!
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Brillyunt!
    I know if I get to technical you get lost

Baby steps.

Did you ever find it ?
    Your tool Bag should have one of these next to the meter.

Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>