Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

1978 Hatteras 58' Yachtfish

I bought my 1978 Hatteras Yachtfish in January 2002 and she has become my favorite possession. Something has come up and I might be selling her.

I am flying into Ft Lauderdale this Tuesday the 18th and will be flying out on Saturday evening the 22nd. I return on Thursday 11/3 and leave on Saturday 11/12. According to Google Maps, it is 29 miles north from the airport to the boat and the travel time is 35 minutes. (mostly I-95 North) If you are interested in seeing my yachtfish this would be the opportune time. The Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show is November 3rd to Novenber 7th.

Mechanically the boat is very sound and has been maintained by the same mechanic since I bought her. One of my best friends had a Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac & Honda dealerships. He introduced me to the mechanic who also takes care of his boat. The car dealer says this is the best mechanic he has ever known which I fine incredible coming from a car dealer who grew up in his father’s car business. Neither the mechanic or I have any knowledge of issues with the boat except the continuing battle to control the temperature on the Detroits when they are run wide open, which I hardly ever do.

It has Wilcox Seabrace stabilizers that have worked good for me.

Cosmetically it needs some paint, has one soft spot in the glass that I was going to fix this winter and detail work.

I have added many things over the years. A RCI fuel purifier in addition to Algae-X were added in the beginning because of fuel tank issues on each of the Detroits. It has a fuel polishing system made from 2 Racor 1000’s. The port engine was replaced with a new Detroit long block 7 or 8 years ago at Ocean Marine in Portsmouth, Virginia.

I think the boat has a lot of value and I have not set a price.

If you are seriously interested, you can contact me at Tomrealest@aol.com .
    Attached Images
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Re: 1978 Hatteras 58' Yachtfish

More details once you decide.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Hi Tom
    Where is the soft spot? What specific engine work has been performed recently? How many total hours? How many hours since major? Has anyone cleaned and detailed the engine room recently?

For those interested, I saw this boat out of the water almost 4 years ago just to compare her with my Ex-58 PIZZAZ. (Tom also saw my boat back then). To my eyes, the physical "boat" appeared to be amongst the upper 30% of the 58s that were around at the time.

Good Luck with finding her a new home Tom.

I have always loved the 58YF model. If the right one came along, I would consider buying it and selling my 53ED. It would have to be a pristine 58YF with the right options. More pics and details would help.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Ready to sell. $200,000, no broker
    Attached Images
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible