Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stinky ice, sulfur smell from ice maker.

I changed it's dedicated charcoal filter and defrosted and washed out the inside. It's pissing me off and stinking up my cocktail.
    What am I missing?
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: stinky ice, sulfur smell from ice maker.

Switch to a better grade of scotch?

Is your icemaker the under counter U-Line style or is it inside your refrigerator?

Every year when I get on board I dump the full tanks of water I left the season before to give the boat weight for hurricanes as well as a source of emergency water for my boat caretakers. Don't turn on the hot water heater yet because it's best to treat this too. Then I fill my three tanks, each nearly 100 gallons, adding two cups of a new bottle of Clorox (it goes bad)to the first 100 gallon tank, two cups to the middle and two cups to the aft tank. Fill to overflowing to get chlorine everywhere. While this sits in the tanks I go below and remove my full-system activated carbon filter. It needs at least an annual change but if I left it there it would remove all the Cl. Pull any other charcoal filters in line for the same reason. Now run cold water through the entire system, sinks, sink sprayers, showers, hose faucets, icemakers, dishwashers, deck washers etc. Run until you smell the Cl odor, then move to the next. Run cold water through your hot water tank until you get the same strong odor. If your tank was full you should displace all the old water. Flush these hot water lines as well. Then you can turn every faucet on (or, alternating the faucets, as many as can successfully be pumped and run the complete water tankage through. If you have more than one fresh water pump be sure to run the Cl through each one because every inch of hot or cold water line needs to stay in contact with the Cl for 20 minutes or so.

After all the Clorox water is gone, refill the tanks and rinse out each faucet, water line and the hot water heater, which you can now turn on. Replace all activated charcoal filters with new as I suspect these can grow all kinds of stuff.

Last time I checked no municipal water in the Bahamas was chlorinated. We used to add our own at a rate of, I think, a tablespoon a gallon into our tanks. I attribute my shiny white teeth to this to this day. Our children grew up a little strange so when the grandchildren started appearing I put in an RO watermaker and all is well. I haven't used local water out of the USA since.

Don't run Cl through your watermaker as it is said to ruin the membranes.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 10-14-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

We have that same horrible stink from our water which is well water and it's worse when it rains a lot , charcoal filters don't touch it and I think re kindle the stink and as Jim said Clorox is the only way to deal with it . I'm actually thinking of running my dock water thru the water maker before dumping it into the tank . A couple valves and it's done ....easy, sure another 10 minute job ! 😀....Pat

It's an under counter ice maker on the aft deck. I'm using the marina water connected to the boat's dockside main supply . This stinky ice started not too long ago. Don't know what to do.
    Mario
    Siboney

Not sure about your water but when ever anyone uses a regular garden hose with black rubber interior cause the water sitting in the hose to smell like rotten eggs. Whenever you use a hose always use a RV/Boat white hose. It does not smell if water stands in the hose. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Not sure about your water but when ever anyone uses a regular garden hose with black rubber interior cause the water sitting in the hose to smell like rotten eggs. Whenever you use a hose always use a RV/Boat white hose. It does not smell if water stands in the hose. Good luck.
    You might be on to something with reference to the hose.
    Mario
    Siboney

Once I switched to the RV white hose the egg smell went away. That was years ago and we were also on a well.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The green hoses I've seen have "not for potable water" on them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The green hoses I've seen have "not for potable water" on them.
    There's you're SIGN

Always use the hose that says for water.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

The correct hose sounds like the best advice. Rubber is often vulcanized using sulfur, ergo the sulfur source for the rotten egg odor. Also keep the charcoal filters clean/refreshed. They breed a smelly organic slime, especially in a warm environment.

Bobk