Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Great Bridge Lock Closed

Any update on when the Lock will open? I know, when the water goes down but I am hoping for some more current news.

Re: Great Bridge Lock Closed

I didn't see anything on Active Captain or the Waterway Guide. The Lock phone is 757-547-3311.

The next two bridges southbound are reported closed due to power outage.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Any update on when the Lock will open? I know, when the water goes down but I am hoping for some more current news.
    Weather permitting maybe run around the outside. You have the range and it'll probably be safer with less hassel then running the ICW to Beufort NC. I would bet from the storms the ICW and the Sounds will be a mess with shifting sand bars and debris. It's a little further running around the Cape to Beaufort but will probably save you some heartache and some hair. Tony.

As of last night, Great Bridge lock was open and the Dismal Swamp canal is closed.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Here a link to a list of marina's with their status from Dockwa.

http://ahoy.dockwa.com/hurricane-mat..._hsmi=35684489
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Thanks Dan. Still unclear whether I can get from Norfolk to Beaufort, NC running the Sounds and staying inside. If not, it's Rudee and then on the outside until Beaufort. Dare I even ask about the condition of Oregon Inlet?

Like I mentioned above, GO AROUND! lol. You have the range and a big solid boat, just go around. You'll save time and a lot of aggravation and trouble. With all that went on, your one branch, shifted sand bar, refrigerator, car, or bicycle away from bent wheels and shafts and weeks of time and lots of money. If I were you, I'd head to sea and avoid the ICW all together. Much easier run then embarking through that NC midfield called the ICW.

Tony
    Last edited by capttonyf; 10-12-2016 at 11:37 AM.

At 1300 today (Wed., 12 Oct) I spoke with one of the Great Bridge Locks operators. The locks are OPEN. They start taking in southbound boaters at 20 minutes after the hour and continue until 20 minutes before the hour.

Southern Comfort
    Portsmouth, VA