Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: opinions

opinions

I'm planning on taking my 1982 MY down to Bayville (Ocean Gate Yacht Basin) for some "body" work....such as fix small chips in the gunwales and some small scratches followed by an Awlgrip paint job. I looked at a couple of their samples of boats they have recently painted. At the yard was a beautiful 1969 34C that was recently painted by them. Does it belong to a forum member? They seem like nice folks and their rates seem fair but I do have some questions. If anyone here has used them, would you comment on your satisfaction etc. I know you need to be careful about negative remarks (which I hope are not there, but I would like to hear if so) so please post positive comments or so so comments here and PM me with problems that I should be aware of that are negative. Thanks ...... I was going to run down to the Chesapeake to a yard that does nice work at fair rates but I prefer to pay a little more and have the work done closer to home so I can visit the job during the winter from time to time without driving 3 hours each way.

Walt
    1982 Series 1 MY

Re: opinions

Ive seen nice work fail after a few years and did some research.

Some yards use polyester putty in the process. It has to be properly prepped and then epoxy primed or it will blister and fail.

Some yards do nice work but use awlcraft not awlgrip because it buffs and blends better but does not hold up as well in my experience.

I spent a lot of time talking to both the awlgrip and Alex seal technical people. Although they have different products that can not mix catalyst or converters they can use each other's primers and fillers. I used Alex seal putty on awlgrip and it's no problem.

Each has its best parts. I find awlgrip has so many additional options as a system but I'm learning more about Alex seal .

The point is see work they did a few years ago if possible. See if they have a high rate of satisfaction after 5 years. Look into it well
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I assume that Composite Yachts in Trappe, MD is the yard here that you were considering. I have heard nothing but good from the Hatteras community about them, their work and pricing.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Walt,
    the only thing I would question, is are they certified Awlgrip dealers and trained in the applications?

The touch up of awlgrip has been an issue, hence I selected AlexSeal, but I had an issue matching that as well with my Blue Tone white hull

I have spoken to a yard in Rock Hall, MD a few months ago. Trappe MD is further south from the Elk river area, but I can certainly try them as well. Wherever it goes, I want it done over this winter so I can enjoy it next season. I'm running out of seasons at my age. I placed my contact info at Composite marine and will talk to them. What I really want is an Awlgrip or Alexseal spray job. I have looked at a few roll and tip jobs and while they looked OK, they were not as smooth and shiny as a spray job. It seems that most yards either can't accommodate a 48 MY inside a spray booth or insist on roll and tip. Years ago I had my previous 43 DC Awlgripped at a place called Brickhouse on Kent Island. The job was excellent... the only problem was that I didn't get my boat back for almost a year. The owner closed shop. I need to get the boat to wherever it will be done within the next couple of weeks as I don't enjoy running on the water when it's cold out and I don't have heat on my bridge.

Walt

Walter, Composite Yacht are very good and will do a good job for you. They might cost less than Rock Hall yards- those yards seem to have a moneyed clientele from up north, and fancy sailboats. For durability, you would want AwlGrip or Alexseal. Brickhouse was good, but as you say, slow. If your boat is sprayed by someone who knows what they are doing and the prep job is done carefully, she will look like a million bucks.

I just finished talking with Louis at Composite Yachts and now I'm feeling bad that I didn't know about them much sooner. Apparently their work is top drawer...they are booked solid for the next 6 months or more. Their rates seem reasonable as well. And that doesn't include any new business from the boat show next week. I'm trying to figure out what to do and time is fleeting by. I need to get the boat to wherever it will be done within the next ten days or so. I don't like being on the water when it's cold out. We plan on driving down to Kent island for crabs at Kentmor and will probably get on Rt 50 and drive to Trappe. Maybe I can convince them to let me take the boat there now with the understanding that It won't be done before Memorial Day or so. If I did that I would probably leave the boat in the Chesapeake for the rest of the season and just cruise the Bay until the end of the season before returning to NJ. Thanks Eric and Jim for the great lead....

Walt

Walt, I sent you a PM to consider. Tim