Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Idle curiousity

Re: Idle curiousity

"I can't imagine dealing with a boat AND an airplane!!! "

this is why i no longer fly... can't to both !

sold the aztec in 94, costs were too bad back then, parts were failry easy to get, had a good and reasonable mechanic. I'm sure nowadays, and especially here in the US prices are sky high!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Now you know why I rent airplanes. Note the squawks, and hand back the keys. There aren't enough hours in the day to take care of a boat AND an airplane.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Reguarding airplanes, I am kinda lucky. I flew larger corporate jets for 31 years for the same energy company. I am also an aircraft mechanic. When our company got bought out by El Paso Corp. in 2001, they moved everything out of Detroit and Colorado Springs, retired me, and sold all 4 of their 182 Cessnas to me. They used these things for inspecting pipeline and they were maintained as perfectly as the corporate jets. I sold the first three and kept the last one. Along with the airplanes I bought all the spare parts for them. I have enough stuff to keep my airplane going for 20 years. I have also sold lots of the parts. I just flew the 182 to Miami and back to visit my son and for the Miami boat show. It ran great. The gasoline prices killed me though. I have about 18000 flying hours so the 182 isn't much of a challange, but a great way to take myself and 2 or 3 friends somewhere like Miami. It takes me about 7.5 hours each way. Not too bad.

4. Re: Idle curiousity

I wanted to learn to fly for a long time.

Then I moved down here and bought the Hatt. There ain't no way I'd own both an airplane AND a boat. There just ain't enough hours in the day.....

AAHHH, a 182. My favorite all purpose airplane. It'll just about lift anything that will fit in the doors, and get out of anywhere with the load. Cheap too. For fun, I would rather fly an old taildragger or a tear-your-head-off aerobatic airplane like my buddy's Extra, but for the rest nothing compares to a cessna. Sure Beech airplanes are better quality and faster, but try to land one in the dirt sometime, or pitch a tent under the wing at Oshkosh. In it's price range, the 182 is king.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331