Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Idle curiousity

Idle curiousity

Is there any other kind....it occurred to me the other day that a lot of my favorite things were built in the early 1970s...several of my cars, my boat, and some musical instruments. Does this hold for any other forum members, or am I the only one accidentally collecting things made between 1969 and 1972? just curious.

Re: Idle curiousity

The Hatteras is a 1983 but the Vette and the wife are both 1970!

Not here,

I do a 1949 Mercedes, and old pocket watches (incredible mechanical engineering) from 1795 to 1910 or so. I love the 1970's Hatteri because of the beautiful interior woodwork in the 1510 boats. I don't like the white stuff interiors with a sprinkling of good wood from the 1990s to now.

Doug

My OPINION...

I've always felt that the 70's after 71/72 was a totally lost decade - especially in music and cars. Music recovered somewhat around '84; it took cars until the late 90's. Music has since dropped completely off the creative/artistic scale.

Pocket Watches!! I do a side business as an antique clock/pocket watch restorer and I love the railroad-grade PWs of the 1890-1940 period. I have a special fondness for Illinois railroad PWs.

How about the muscle cars of the late 60's/early 70's? It was the heyday for Oldsmobile-the Hurst/Olds, the 442, and many of the Indy pace cars of that era. I bought one of the last 442's new in 1987. It's not really much like the "real" 442, but still a great example of the V8, rear wheel drive cars of the time.

That's funny--my boat is a 1985 and my car is a 1987. Must be I collect things from the mid 80's
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Most of my kids were made in the 1970s.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

i got to agree....

i live on a 1970 53MY and drive a 1972 E-type V12 ... i put flying on a back burner (time and $) but for almost 10 years, I had a 1966 Piper Aztec...

all three are great 60s design...

and yes, I was born in the 60s... (1961 .. same the the E-type was born :-) )
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal

and yes, I was born in the 60s... (1961 .. same the the E-type was born :-) )
    Me too, '63!

Both of my kids were made in the 60's but that was my fault, not the decade's so I still hold the '60s as number one followed in order by the 0's (so far), the 80's, 90's and 70's. I was a kid in the 50's so I'm not counting them.

My wife and I were talking about the 70's a few days ago. She said they weren't as bad as I say. I made her mad when I said that a legitimate set of 70's greatest hits shouldn't take more than one CD.

Ahhhh, The old Az-Truck. What a good airplane, if you can cram it in the cabin, it'll fly. The Bahamain customs folk's eyes would get as big as golf balls watching us taxi up on a summer re-supply flight 86 degrees yesterday..... Summer is almost here.