Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Florida in the path!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I know this was/is really bad and could still be as bad or worse for those further north, but as an outside observer trying to get information, I have to wonder about the reporting. As Pascal noted, many of the weather stations showed much lower wind speeds than the Hurricane Center was reporting. Were they/are they afraid that people would not heed the warnings unless they portrayed this storm as worse than it actually is?

Don't get me wrong; I'm thankful that it seems to have been less damaging than anticipated so far but it does make you wonder. I guess its just like most weather guys, if you're right 50% of the time, you get to keep your job.
    The wind speeds were not exaggerated, the storm was compact and very powerful. Hurricane force winds were only extending 30 miles or so from the center. If this storm came further west and rolled over the coast it could have been devastating. Even the surge has only been forecast for 3-5ft for much of the warning area. It's only Northern Fl and up that had the threat of higher storm surge. I think the info was good if you know where to get it. The Weather Channel has been hyping the same 107 MPH wind gust from Cape Canaveral all morning. The hype is what causes people to become complaisant the next time one of these rolls along. If the NHC didn't report the potential for this storm to roll up the coast as a Cat 3 or 4 and it did, the outcome could have been devastating. We all dodged a bullet so far. Let's hope that continues for everyone in Matthew's path.
    Jack Sardina

We lost trees, screens, and all things left outside are broken or gone. It was not hyped.
    I have to wait until tomorrow to see if the roof that blew off the shops was mine.

The people north of me are taking a beating even worse than here. May they weather the storm safely.

It's also so much fun to deal with the government when you want to go home. They're a bit slow to let you back.

By the way. No looters in cocoa beach. At least not so far.

BUT we're prepared.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    We lost trees, screens, and all things left outside are broken or gone. It was not hyped.
    I have to wait until tomorrow to see if the roof that blew off the shops was mine.

The people north of me are taking a beating even worse than here. May they weather the storm safely.

It's also so much fun to deal with the government when you want to go home. They're a bit slow to let you back.

By the way. No looters in cocoa beach. At least not so far.

BUT we're prepared.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend. But think twice before you hurt someone over a tv or a material item. Todays laws are with the other guy.U WIND UP PAYING A BIG PRICE

Not here. Looters can be shot on site within 20 feet of you. Castle doctrine. Stand your ground and other laws are on our side.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Not here. Looters can be shot on site within 20 feet of you. Castle doctrine. Stand your ground and other laws are on our side.
    Yeah, and it'll cost you everything you own defending the civil suit after the cops and judge hopefully see it your way. Glad you came through okay.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

My neighbor responded to a looters shot a while back. He's is a paramedic. The looter was shot with a 308. Big exit wound. No saving him. No law suit or charges filed but the tv he was carrying did break.

I know there's a big movement against self defense but there are also groups insuring g responsible gun owners in this type of cas too.

Tim,

I bet your daughter the judge would appreciate the idea of try and die crimes.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Actually it's my daughter that's the judge and she carries a judge and wears a bulletproof vest every time she leaves the house. Had a defendant call her a racist white bitch the other day and tried to spit on her. She gets jail mail death threats all the time. Gotten way worse since BLM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

And for some reason the moronic masses think the behaviour of these race baiters and hate groups is something we need to understand.

I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Any word from members in jax?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    AMEN! Our place on Kitching Cove did great, docks and all. And we never lost power. We'll probably see lots of blue roofs on the way back south.

Bobk
    Bob, we wound up back at Sandpiper Bay and did fine. 1 parted line of the 12 I put out. No surge to speak of- water never got over the docks. Did have one moron at the Marriot who never responded to the dock master and left his sail boat in the slip. The finger per is holdng it up from laying on it'sside on the bottom. God knows when we will be allowed back into our slip.

Good to hear others have fared well. Really grateful we did not get the brunt of this storm! Prayers for those poor souls in Haiti and the Bahamas they got nailed...