Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tanker truck fuel deliver to marinas

Do marinas, on average, allow tanker truck delivery of diesel to boats to get a better price on fuel?

My local marina is 2.90 for diesel...and I support them by using their services for hauling etc, but $1+ a gallon more when buying a few hundred gallons of fuel isn't gonna fly.

I'm going to ask them first (probably have it topped off on the hard first)...if they say no, I have other options. But I'm curious how it's done elsewhere.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: Tanker truck fuel deliver to marinas

krush, most marinas with fuel available wont allow a truck to pump fuel. do you have a friend with a house on the water? bring it there and fuel up..

Hey krush...you are kidding aren't you??? Ask a marina that sells fuel to allow a tank delivery???? Really???

Boat lives at my dock, and I can get a fuel truck to the dock, no problem. The problem is the boat is on the dock about 220ft away from where the fuel truck would park.

At high tide I might could bring the boat to within 100 feet.

There's other options, like the 500gal tank I have on a trailer that I could get filled, them pump into a 200gal tote on a pontoon boat, and then.....well this gets redngineer'd pretty quickly.

I'm just asking the question because I've read on these forums about people getting fuel truck deliveries.

We bring tankers into Tarpon Bay Yacht Club in Port St Lucie. It's private. I haven't measured the length of hose required, but it is probably about 200' or more. Ask the supplier how long his hose is and offer to help the driver pull it to the boat.

Tankers also fuel boats on the New River in Ft Lauderdale. Check Active Captain in your area.

PS, I just fueled for $1.90 at BYC. It was $1.62 a few weeks ago.

Bob

I ve never heard of a Marina with a fuel dock to accept truck deliveries...

Down here marinas with no fuel docks which allow fuel delivery take a cut, 0.10 to 0.15 per gallon which the delivery service add to he bill.

Most trucks have pretty long hoses, check to see if they can reach your boat.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Another option is just do 100 gallon at a time in the pickup truck (if in no rush). VA gives a tax rebate for boats. Could be cheaper than offroad delivered.

Off road should be the cheapest. 200ft is not that far and shouldn't be a problem for most trucks. I must have been at least 300ft from the parking lot and the truck had no issues fueling me.
    Jack Sardina

Well it's very late but I just needed to tell you guys that asking a man how long his hose is, is well, kind of personal.

Walt

What happen to the old sales pitch "if you can't afford the fuel don't buy the boat". My marina sells only gas so no help there besides the time it takes to go get it drive back in your truck haul it down to the boat is so time consuming. Your time is worth more.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California