Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

shell oil vs chevron

Does any one know the sulfated ash content of Rotella T1 40wt . Can not find it on their tech sheet. The cost of Shell vs chevron is about $5.00 cheaper per gal. Chevron is 0.80. I have always used Chevron in the past. Thanks

Re: shell oil vs chevron

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/in...p?topic=3260.0

Found some information for you, hope this helps

Well I have dug into this and I think everyone should look up the delo 40 wt spec. The way I read it has an ash level of 1.5 not 0.80 . Any thoughts?

I was wrong. I was looking at delo 400 40 wt. SORRY

Low ash (<1.0%) is preferred for the two stroke engines. Detroit has a PDF on this but I could not find it. Remember, two strokes need straight 40 oil.

This information is a bit old, but may be good. Shell Rotella 40 is at the upper limit of the ash spec. I've used it, but switched to NAPA 75118 (Valvoline) as it is well below the spec and I can easily get it anywhere.
    ASH, %

Exxon XD3____________.80%
    Mobil Delvac 1240______.80% (if you can still find it)
    Castrol Assuron________.80%
    Valvoline Fleet Plus_____.80%
    Delo 100______________.85%
    Texaco Ursa___________.85%
    Shell Rotella__________1.00%
    Valvoline Fleet Guard Plus SAE 40 also meets the 0.8% spec

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Low ash (<1.0%) is preferred for the two stroke engines. Detroit has a PDF on this but I could not find it. Remember, two strokes need straight 40 oil.

This information is a bit old, but may be good. Shell Rotella 40 is at the upper limit of the ash spec. I've used it, but switched to NAPA 75118 (Valvoline) as it is well below the spec and I can easily get it anywhere.
    ASH, %

Exxon XD3____________.80%
    Mobil Delvac 1240______.80% (if you can still find it)
    Castrol Assuron________.80%
    Valvoline Fleet Plus_____.80%
    Delo 100______________.85%
    Texaco Ursa___________.85%
    Shell Rotella__________1.00%
    Valvoline Fleet Guard Plus SAE 40 also meets the 0.8% spec

By the way Napa is valvoline.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    By the way Napa is valvoline.
    Scott, didn't have your coffee yet? I pointed that out I thought?

Bobk

I recently needed to empty out a couple of 40 ft steel shipping containers that I have been using for storage and lo and behold I found about 150 gals of DD 1240 Motor Oil. Since I already have about another 150 gals of the same product stored I obviously won't need all of 300 gals. It is mostly in 5 gal buckets but lots of cases of 4, 1 gal jugs as well. If anyone is interested in some, I'm in central NJ and since I doubt I'll be owning the boat for more than a couple more years (I'm almost 80) I am willing to part with a good bit of it. I have no idea of it's value so make me a fair offer and you will need to pick it up as I am not shipping it.

Walt
    Guppy, 1982 48' Series I MY
    732-991-5665 Please not before 9 am or after 9 pm eastern time.

Re: shell oil vs chevron vs coastal

Searching the enter net I found Coastal HD Fleet 40 wt. eng oil Ash 0.9 cost $47.00 for 5 gals. I use their oils in Puerto Rico where I have some heavy equipment. Would like any comments ? Other than me being so cheap xxx.

Re: shell oil vs chevron vs coastal

Quote Originally Posted by questover View Post
    Searching the enter net I found Coastal HD Fleet 40 wt. eng oil Ash 0.9 cost $47.00 for 5 gals. I use their oils in Puerto Rico where I have some heavy equipment. Would like any comments ? Other than me being so cheap xxx.
    It seems to meet the requirements. I've never used it nor know anyone who does.

https://www.amazon.com/Coastal-Fleet...re-bullets-btf

Bobk