Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Core hull sides

Core hull sides

I have recently discovered that some Hatteras' have core hull sides. Is it possible for this vintage to have the hull sides "rot" like the deck core rot that has been discussed on this forum? It would seem that if the fiberglass has been penetrated with a screw the potential for rot would be possible.

How can you tell if a boat has core hull sides?

Do these boats that have core hull sides have core bottoms?

Thanks,
    Looking and learning about Hatteras

Tuga

Re: Core hull sides

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Lisa View Post
    I have recently discovered that some Hatteras' have core hull sides. Is it possible for this vintage to have the hull sides "rot" like the deck core rot that has been discussed on this forum? It would seem that if the fiberglass has been penetrated with a screw the potential for rot would be possible.

How can you tell if a boat has core hull sides?

Do these boats that have core hull sides have core bottoms?

Thanks,
    I wasn't aware that Hatteras had used cored sides on the hull. They did on the house on some. That said, they did laminate in stiffeners for reinforcing certain areas. On my 1981 48MY for instance, the aft spray rails bolt through an area where plywood was incorporated for just that purpose.

What models do you suspect had cored sides?

Bobk

I've never heard therevwas core on the sides. What years are you speaking of?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I had mentioned to Tuga that the 40 Double Cabin had cored hull sides. My only reference for this is The Powerboat Guide. I suggested he post and ask this question.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Given the history of rotted cores on most of our decks etc, I would be nervous about having the entir hull cored. Yes I know that many of our boats have cored transoms and I am not aware of the issues we have on our decks being the same on the transoms. It would however, be interesting to learn about issues that have come up with boats with cored boats. It seems logical that non wood core would be better than Baltek in that it wouldn't rot, but the presence of water in any core could cause delamination when it freezes, which is a consideration in the North.

Walt

To my knowledge there is no core below the waterline on any Hatteras...... But the hull sides are, after a certain year..... based on a lot I've read. That said, I have never heard of any problems with them. People are less likely to drill holes in the hull sides, and when they do the sides are, of course, vertical and less likely to have water penetration.

Here is Pascoe:

For the most part, Hatteras built balsa cored boats. In earlier years, up through about 1980, the hulls were solid glass, and then cored hull sides appeared. Decks and house tops have always been balsa cored. In fact, were it not for Hatteras, Baltec would probably not be in business today. If you want to know how good balsa is as a core material, try to find a Hatteras with a core problem. Out of thousands of boats produced, there are only a few. And speaking of balsa, if you've ever noticed that Hatteras yachts are notably quieter inside than most others, that's because of the wonderful acoustic properties of balsa.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-30-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The HP series of convertibles had core hull sides. I looked at a 1989 52c that sunk in hurricane Frances in 04. I bid on it at auction since it went down in fresh water on the north fork of the St Lucie River. The boat had pushed over a piling at the cockpit side just aft of. The deckhouse. The piling rubbed the hull side until it breached the outer glass core then inner glass. I was shocked at how thin the glass was on each side of the core. Contrary to what most of the "internet exspurts" say the core extended below the waterline down to the chine. I believe if this was a non cored hull the boat wouldn't have sunk. The boat "Ballarina" still sits abandoned in Ft Pierce Fl.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I've never heard therevwas core on the sides. What years are you speaking of?

This is a 1988 Hatteras 40' http://knot10.com/brokerage-inventor...rice=&maxprice=

I am also looking at ~ 1985 Hatteras 43's. fissioneng and I were discussing this vintage and the subject of cored hulls came up. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.V-6h6s3rusE

Looks like cored hulls are not too much of a big deal since most on this forum have not had or heard of any problems.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Miss Lisa; 09-30-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    Looking and learning about Hatteras

Tuga

Maybe Hatt's don't have much of an issue, but all of the 44 Viking MY's that I checked for my son had wet cores below the aft cabin windows and the transom around the spare shaft storage tube. I'd be sure to have a surveyor check with a moisture meter.

Bobk

In 30 years some water might have made it's way in? Get a moisture meter and learn how to use it. It would be easier to pick another boat without a cored hull than to repair one with a soggy core.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY