Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange fluid in Front V Berth Bilge

I just came in from a trip today and had a weird bright orange fluid in the front bilge. I do not know where it came from. Anyone have any ideas?01968f0921d32d0ed573dae1199fd6f19082cbdd88.jpg

Re: Strange fluid in Front V Berth Bilge

Some of the long-life engine coolant types are orange. That's the only thing that comes to mind that might be that color...

Possibly a ruptured bottle of coolant or a leak in the engine's coolant reservoir or engine coolant overflow if you don't have a reservoir/overflow bottle/tank.

This just added for further consideration - If you have ruled out engine coolant, does it have an odor that you can detect? Does it feel watery/oily/solvent-like?
    Last edited by MikeP; 09-29-2016 at 04:08 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Is it water soluble?

Bobk

It looks like the diaper is soaking it up quite well, so presumably it's oil-based.

looks like emulsified hydraulic fluid
    Jack Sardina

I checked the engines and they all have Green antifreeze. I have no fluids in engines that are this bright orange color. The bilges in engine departments are perfectly clean. The only thing I have not checked is the generator which sits just behind this area. I will crawl down there today to check it out. The fluid is a little oily as you see the pads I put down there are soaking it up as those pads do not soak in water. The smell after putting my fingers in it is a little like turpentine. Of course it leaves a nice sheen on the water when the pump went off. I cleaned it all out last night with the pads and rinsed it all out. Unfortunately this morning it is back.

Also this is from a 1977 53 foot Hatteras Motoryacht

Like was said earlier looks like power steering fluid emulsified......

OK I have a tray under my Generator. In that tray looks like the same stuff. Not much in there. I checked the antifreeze level and it is full. Oil good to. So am digging farther to see where it is coming from. It almost looks like really rusty old water.

Could it be from the trim tabs, the only place I could think of that has power steering fluid ...