Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Nordhavn sinks. full blog account of sinking told by the owners . very sad

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    Most of the time you can cut corners and nothing bad happens. Then there is this Nordhaven or another Costa Concordia accident. I will again renew my New Year's Resolution to ALWAYS make 90 degree turns at buoys and harbor entrances, to only come straight in. And to try to be more dilligent even in known waters because things change. My appreciation to this skipper for speaking up. I hope we get a chance to meet up with him on the water in his next boat. There but for the grace of God go I...........
    I agree with you that "most" of the time you can cut corners. I just don't do it unless I 100% know the area and the local conditions or if there are any recent changes. Examples being unusual shoaling, submerged object that's not yet marked or removed, etc etc. I'm usually out to enjoy myself so I don't mind taking a little extra time and rounding the corners so to speak. I just feel better about it at the time. If I was to cut an unfamiliar corner in an area I haven't been in even just a few months, even if the chart shows good water I'd be all puckered up and worrying that the few extra minutes I saved wouldn't be worth it. Again, I know it's ok to usually cut corners, I just don't like to. Tony

Re: Nordhavn sinks. full blog account of sinking told by the owners . very sad

There is cutting a corner and there is cutting a corner.... In unfamiliar waters, if it s just one or two more buoys I will probably stay in the channel but when the charts clearly show clear waters, no obstruction and at least...say... 6' clearance under the wheels at low tide, I think running a ship channel all the way to the sea buoy is a bit of an overkill.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat