Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to heat the cabin for winter projects

Looking to see what folks use to heat the boat if they do interior projects in the winter. Really just asking folks in the northeast, as it's pretty cold up here in jan and feb.

Re: How to heat the cabin for winter projects

I am doing some interior work this winter. My boat is in ct. I will probably just use a couple electric heaters to try and take some of the chill out in the area that I'm working in. My boat also has build in electric auxiliary heaters installed but not sure if they can be run while the boats out of the water so I'll have to investigate that. I've seen on defenders website the desiel fired heaters but I doubt I am going to install one

Whatever you use be careful of fumes. Either the build up of toxic fumes in a closed area or explosive fumes it's not a good thing to have
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have used propane (Mr Heater), kerosene, and electric heaters and each had it's own unique application. If using propane, be sure you have a source of fresh air coming into the area, such as down below. It should have safety devices that turn the unit off if it detects low oxygen levels or tips over. Electric does not usually give off enough heat when it's 15 deg outside unless you have lots of them but then you run the risk of electric overload. Kerosene heaters have their own set of issues, such as incomplete combustion causing soot to get onto everything including carpet and headliners so I would limit them to enclosed aft decks.

However you decide to heat your boat, be sure to keep watch on your environment as a fire on a boat is not a pretty thing,.....and keep a few larger fire extinguishers handy throughout the boat.

Walt

Walter is spot on I found this to be one of my best options and it has the low oxygen shut off which is very sensitive which is a GOOD thing

Mr Heater Big Buddy can use small bottles or a 20 lb which I put on the forward deck and run the hose in through the hatch also get the attachment for the fan.
    Last edited by 34Hatt; 09-20-2016 at 07:49 AM.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Oil filled electric heaters are the safest.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The big Mr heater is great. So is the little one. You can pull the back cover off the big one and install a female mini USB port and then use a USB charger to power the fan. Works for running off 12v too using cig-lighter USB charger (use 1 amp)
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Thanks guys! This is just the tip I needed. How long will the Big Buddy Run on a 20 gal bottle Dan?

Just answered my own question. 108 Hours on a 20lb bottle. That thing is mine! Thanks again for the tip!

There's also a great deal to be said for good quality insulated coveralls. Heating an uninsulated boat is a frustrating and expensive endeavor, and they're handy for doing other winter jobs like running snowblowers (one with a hood helps a lot with that).
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375