Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Where do Johnson Yachts fit in the yacht quality pecking order?

Well, they re no hatteras... But then few boats are hatteras, right ?

I did run a 2003 70 skylounge with 3412Es and it's a pretty good, solid boat. Johnson started as Hi Tech in the early 90s and was probably one the best Taiwan yards the Johnson 70 was an evolution of the origisnl high tech 55/60 all Bill Dixon designs. Nowadays they're building boats between 87 and 110.

The use of space, performance, and aft deck space is excellent. Solid fiberglass hull and no nonsense design with almost no bonehead what the hell where they thinking screw ups.

I put over 3000 hours on it, with 4 miami - nantucket trips and dozens of trips to the Exumas. Never had to cancel Or delay a trip or charter. Those 3412Es are still purring with no smoke at 5300 hours...

Downside? Ours had no stabilizers so ... With an enclosed flybridge, 14' tender, jet ski and spare wheels up top she was a roller. Also, having a centerline queen at the bow meant that in rough stuff, we d be pounding in 4 footers a hatteras wouldn't even notice.

So, we waited a day or two...but had incredible living spaces and an aft deck and platform bigger than anything under 100'

No delamination, no stress cracks, no rotted core... Simple and reliable electrical but some Taiwan stainless steel that loves to bleed.

Boat is on the market right now at $695k. A lot of boat for the money. With the big cats, she cruises at 22/23kte on 60-70%'load but cna also sip 18 GPH at 10kts...

So... I'd say middle of the pack with solid constructions and systems. No hatteras, not even a Lazzara (running an 2009 84 skylounge now ) but above your average mutt, ferreti, Marquis etc.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My girlfriend said it's not the size of the big Johnsons that impress her, its the ability of the pilot to drive his big Johnson into a tight slip that really gets her excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    Indeed it was. He makes a mean rum punch so I cannot recall the specifics about the boat.
    Glad you remember the run punch
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    My girlfriend said it's not the size of the big Johnsons that impress her, its the ability of the pilot to drive his big Johnson into a tight slip that really gets her excited.
    Oh boy.... True story... My first time driving the Johson 70 was on th day of the closing... Off shore closing as the boat was bvi flagged then so after the buyer and seller signed the paper work a few miles off FTL and we too the pictures of the day's paper next to the GPS to have prof of the offshore closing, the seller stepped aside and I too k over as the buyers captain. Coming back in the slip in aventura was one of these oh shit moment as the was only a couple of inches on each side to slide the thing in. . Nailed her though.. Hmmm.. I mean nailed it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks Pascal,

You answered my question.

The rest of you entertained me like the Marx Brothers.

Afew of my fishing buddies now have the "pullin my Johnson" video for their entertainment.

Don't you just love this forum?

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    I dated Shirley Evinrude for a while before I met Gayle. Shirley sent me a link to this back then. LOL

Bobk

A Zodiac in our harbor, Northport NY, has a Johnson out board, and above the Johnson the no shame skipper placed the word "Big".

His family must be proud!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY