Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: very sad. sunken hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Since they re advertising a charter business, it would seem that this guy is, or rather was, a licensed captain...

As to salvage right, there is no big money to be made. The boat is toast and worth less than what it will cost to get he off the beach. Sitting even just two day in the surf, the inside must already be full of sand. Sand gets stirred by the waves, comes in with water and settles inside the boat, especially the engine room thru the vents

I doubt they ll be able to put her and refloat her.

Anyone remember the video of the 50 ish sea ray flybridge that beached in th Devils back bone a few years back? They got it out with bulldozers...
    Just thought someone will have to get paid to get it out of there. Can anyone do it and bill the insurance comapny or does the insurance company have to hire someone? I figure they would want it removed sooner then later. The longer it's beached the more damage occurs. Not only damage to the boat but the beach and the enviornment. Think of the fine we would get if the USCG or EPA saw one of us accidently spill a little fuel in the ocean out of an overflow. I would think that boat is probably carrying on average on any given day a 1000 plus gallons of fuel, not to mention oil, and waste.

I certainly wouldn't want to be in that guys shoes right now. It's one thing to have an accident, or to beach a boat in the case of an emergency. But to have something like this happen from PURE NEGLECT, I'm sure he's going to be subject to some serious fines, and possible jail time.

Does anyone on here know the State, Federal and Maritime Laws he could now possibly be up against? What possible fines and or imprisonment he could be facing due to stupidity?

Must really suck, I can't imagine he'll be sleeping real well in his upcoming future.

Tony

He'll be sleeping just dandy if giving all his money to lawyers and ending up in the gray area hotel is the kind of lullaby he likes, otherwise not.

This guy is in a shitpot full of trouble- and for all we know, he may have been living on his boat, which means he would now be homeless as well.

Gray bar, not gray area- autocorrect at work again.

Whoever gets the salvage will pump her out and they'll pull her off after they confirm hulls intact without a breach in her. They'll seek at least  of said value. I do not believe insurance company will cover him due to alcohol involved. Pretty sure my insurance coverage says so! Anyway, after reading Palm Beach article, says it's a misdemeanor offense so far. Someone will get a 56' at a very nice price w/ a sinking record as this ex-pilot should be hiring taxis and charting vessels w/ Captains from now on! Its all fun & games until your luck takes a S@#T!!!
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.

Anyone remember the ship that drove up on the beach in the same place back in the 80's? It was there a long time before they got it off.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rsmith; 09-09-2016 at 09:20 AM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Name of the ship was Mercedes gives a new meaning to having a Mercedes parked In your back yard
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Name of the ship was Mercedes gives a new meaning to having a Mercedes parked In your back yard
    Now that is a good one LOL

Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I'll stipulate that the operator was drunk...but..I still don't get why it sank. Sandy bottom, robust hull, adequate bilge pump capacity, etc. Did he run it full bull onto the bottom? Push the struts and rudders through the bottom? Once on its side, the ER vents are a direct water path inside, but why didn't he drop a hook? Oh well, looks kinda like my boat with a cockpit...and the both have the same mechanical issue...loose nut behind the wheel!

I find it interesting that the boat is pointed East - the direction to deeper water. How did he get her turned around? I read another new account today that he and his girlfriend were running the boat back from West End, having departed at 4 PM. The report says they lost the stbd engine at some point and decided to continue on only the port engine. These folks had all sorts of things going for them.....
    Last edited by SeaEric; 09-09-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Yes it was Lake Worth Inlet (Also known to locals as Palm Beach Inlet). He only missed it by a quarter mile. And it's not easy to miss!