Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Re: very sad. sunken hatteras

They put him in prison at least once. Hope they do it again. The man is a sociopath.

Don't forget that you can't sue anyone without a lawyer to do it. So in addition to the dirtbag himself, he has a lawyer of similar stripe.

Like the piece of crap Cheryl Bormann. The defense attorney that wanted women to dress in jihabs at the court proceding at gtmo.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott, I think it's hijab.

Glad bag.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Back in the day Florida had some pretty unfair confiscation laws. Boats cars airplanes whatever were confiscated upon arrest not conviction. Cops loved it. Get t to the point if some cop liked your vehicle you were screwed. After a lot of abuse the law was finally changed. I believe now if your arrested the arresting authority has the responsibility to "do no harm" to your possessions whether it's your car Rolex watch or boat. I'm not supporting this guy but you are innocent until proven guilty. Upon his arrest someone should have taken responsibility to protect his property until he was released.
    I know I'm going to get slammed for this but I've seen too many cowboy cops out on the water that think boaters are the enemy.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Back in the day Florida had some pretty unfair confiscation laws. Boats cars airplanes whatever were confiscated upon arrest not conviction. Cops loved it. Get t to the point if some cop liked your vehicle you were screwed. After a lot of abuse the law was finally changed. I believe now if your arrested the arresting authority has the responsibility to "do no harm" to your possessions whether it's your car Rolex watch or boat. I'm not supporting this guy but you are innocent until proven guilty. Upon his arrest someone should have taken responsibility to protect his property until he was released.
    I know I'm going to get slammed for this but I've seen too many cowboy cops out on the water that think boaters are the enemy.
    I agree but the boat was already hard aground and on it's side or were those pics taken after he was released? If the boat could have been secured or moved and the police's inaction caused significant damage, then yes the police should be liable.
    Jack Sardina

The first photos showed it upright and bow pointed to sea. Plenty of commercial operations on Palm Beach that could have saved it. My point is they threw his ass in jail and as typical with the gummerment there was no scense of urgency. I think they should be sued so next time they react. We all have formulated opinions on news reports. Don't believe anything you read and only half what you see said old Ben F. Probably the guy is a drunk jerk but still is innocent until proven guilty.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

While I feel, based on the news reports, which we know are always accurate that the guy (owner) was and is a complete jerk, it is my opinion (based only on news reports) that the authorities fell down on the job and thereby share some guilt in the loss of that boat. When this thread first appeared, I wondered why a salvage effort was not done to tow the boat away from the beach and to the nearest travel lift. Like I stated, we need to know the rest of the story.

Walt

p.s. Isn't monday morning quarterbacking wonderful.....

He wrecked the boat by running it aground. He was too drunk to operate it. Why should the cops be responsible for his drunken mistakes?

Could they have saved it? Maybe. Should they have done so? Why?

It's private property and not subject to their control. If they had he'd be suing for damages done during the salvage. It's a no win situation.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.