Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Re: very sad. sunken hatteras

To a Hatteras lover this episode brings to mind the crazy Taliban blowing up all those thousands of years old monuments in the middle east. Obviously not nearly the same because we can build more boats (but not vintage Hatts). Those monuments are not replaceable. Some people should not be allowed to own a Hatteras...what a jerk.

Walt

And the plot thickens.....

PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. (CBS12) — The owner of a beached 72-foot yacht that spent a month off the coast of Palm Beach is suing the town and the Palm Beach Police.

This lawsuit comes after the state granted the nearly $200,000 bill to have it removed.

The boat's captain, Thomas Baker, says authorities did not properly protect his yacht when they arrested him after he ran it ashore in September.

Baker was charged with boating under the influence after he admitted to drinking several Long Island ice teas before crashing it just south of the Palm Beach Inlet.

In Baker's lawsuit, he claims at that time he asked police if they could make arrangements to secure the vessel. According to him, that did not happen.

The yacht remained in the inlet for several weeks, eventually forcing the town and state to deal with the costs to remove it.

Baker is seeking more than $450,000, which is the value of the yacht. He is also asking for the $50,000 of out of pocket cost the town has said it will be seeking from him.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    And the plot thickens.....
    Guy has balls !!
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

I have a feeling he has a good chance to prevail. The boat should have been removed asap then
    there wouldn't have been any problems. There's a copy of the lawsuit on the Palm Beach Shiny Sheet.

I think the boat suffered major damage if not a total loss before he was arrested. She was hard aground and appeared to be taking on water in the early pics. It wasn't a simple tow off a sandbar and I doubt the end results would be any different had he not been arrested. Sad ending for any boat.
    Jack Sardina

The best defense is a good offense. Settlement is always the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by tellico View Post
    The best defense is a good offense. Settlement is always the goal.
    Don't know any of the details other than what's been posted here but suing a municipality is much harder than an individual or corporation. Given he broke the law and has a history it would seem tough to place liability on the town.
    Jack Sardina

Suing and winning are two different animals. Filing is cheap and defending costs money. I'm sure it's nothing but a crow bar. In other words, a tool for leverage.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

This is odious. The man was drunk, for God's sake. Is he going to blame that on the city, too?

He probably figures the liberal judges will side with him. So far he seems to have gone through life with very little responsibility for his actions.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.