Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Oil Changing Pump

Decided I would drain and change oil today. Opened valve on oil drain plug, turned on "self-priming" pump and ..... (wait for it, wait for it)...of course, NOTHING!!! Reversible motor so just in case it was spinning in the wrong direction, I tried the other direction. No luck. I suppose the impeller may be bad, but two years ago when I had the oil changed by a "mechanic" (and yes, I use the term loosely), it ran and drained. Hasn't been run since.

Have attached pictures of the pump model and brand. Anyone familiar with it? Pump motor runs and drive shaft spins. Impeller hosing gets pretty warm after a minute or two...so assume impeller is spinning. Any suggestions for what could be going wrong or what the problem could be? I even tried priming it with motor oil.

(Sorry if photos are a bit blurry...haven't yet mastered standing on my head in the bottom of a boat hull, holding camera in one and and a flash light in the other. )
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Triskele; 08-30-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Re: Oil Changing Pump

That is a vane pump. Try to prime it. often the vanes stick to the housing.

I only say this because I saw it. When the owner was finished pumping the oil out, they put a plug deep in the hose to prevent oil from dripping out. Even though the end was clean and seemed clear there was an obstruction in the line. Pull the hoses to verify nothing is clogged. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    That is a vane pump. Try to prime it. often the vanes stick to the housing.
    Would it help if I opened it up to check on sticking? Would it hurt anything? I did pour some oil in to try and prime, but maybe not enough. Will give it another shot.

It will not hurt. Pull the three screws off the flow master cap. Check the Finns, if broken you have found your problem.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    It will not hurt. Pull the three screws off the flow master cap. Check the Finns, if broken you have found your problem.
    Will give it a shot. Thank you sir!

Put some diapers or oilzorb clothes under it before you open the pump!

Problem solved! Rather simple after you know how to do it. Attached are pictures of the pump manifold. The valves were closed. When I began to try and remove the oil using the pump I tried to turn the valves but they would not move. I went back again this evening and gave it another closer look. Turns out there is a lock nut behind the valve that has to be loosened to release the valve so it will turn. Once I released the pressure on the nut the valve opened. Have attached photos of the valve closed and open. Once I open the valve the oil flowed. Success!