Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Floating vs Fixed docks

hi Mike ...last year we were at Diversified Yacht Services in Fort Myers Beach having some insurance work done and there was a bad storm with more than a 6' storm surge we were on Floating docks and our boat and all the other boats there just floated up and down with no issues ...the CG station is right next to then and they took their boats out cause they have Fixed docks ...there was 2' of water over the Bulk Head at Diversified with with the whole area flooding....boy was i glad i was on fixed docks...didn't have to keep letting up on my lines if i would have been on Fixed Docks.....again they have very tall and very thick concrete pilings and Docks
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

The problem with floating docks and tall poles is that as the tide rises the leverage on the poles increases. No wind or tide is one thing but with hi winds all that windage from the boats tied to the docks at some point the poles will snap or pull over in the mud. Remember most of these pilings are jetted in and many are not that deep. I have the boat behind the house and ordered extra long poles that are jeered and hammered below the bottom hard pan.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

It's pretty obvious from the posts on this thread that as with everything else relating to boating, most
    things are a compromise. (something most politicians can't seem to do) From floating docks without
    very tall pilings to adjusting lines with the surge (which BTW requires you to be there either on the boat
    or at least on the dock) . Our situations are not all the same but that's part of boating.

Walt

One thing to remember also no matter where you tie up you need to look at the integrity of the dock and pilings. I've seen many pilings that look good at Hi tide and are pencil thin at low
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    The problem with floating docks and tall poles is that as the tide rises the leverage on the poles increases. No wind or tide is one thing but with hi winds all that windage from the boats tied to the docks at some point the poles will snap or pull over in the mud. Remember most of these pilings are jetted in and many are not that deep. I have the boat behind the house and ordered extra long poles that are jeered and hammered below the bottom hard pan.
    setting the pilings deep and below the hard pan is critical. After Sandy we had several pilings fall over the following winter. We have fixed docks and when the water came up the bigger boats pulled some of the dock and pilings up with them. They settled back down when the water receded and no one noticed until a few tipped over during the winter.
    Jack Sardina

The Harbor Master Rick says the pilings are in the bottom 30 ft and at current high tide I would estimate that the pilings extend beyond the top of the dock about 12 ft plus. This is in Tarpon Point Marina in Cape Coral FL. The tide is 2 to 3 ft I have seen it as high as 5 ft during Tropical Storm Debbie a few years ago. I'm in the basin now which is water/land owned by the complex. The new docks are in front of the hotel on water not owned by the complex, so boats fishing or very near your boat out in that area can't be asked to leave vs the basin where they can be forced to leave. The basin has a large number of rental boats in it and one of my concerns there is having someone that has rented one loosing control and hitting mine which is square in the path of most of them coming and going. I have had one encounter with that happening with a small boat while I was there once thankfully with no damage to mine. The boat in the slip next to me was not so lucky when a sailboat ran into the slip next to him and ran the anchor down the side of his boat! The comment by many here is correct concerning so many factors to consider! Thankfully the current Tropical Storm in the area is appearing not to be a major concern at the moment but as we all know the season has really just only begun!

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    setting the pilings deep and below the hard pan is critical. After Sandy we had several pilings fall over the following winter. We have fixed docks and when the water came up the bigger boats pulled some of the dock and pilings up with them. They settled back down when the water receded and no one noticed until a few tipped over during the winter.
    Those pilings were not in deep enough. Especially in residential docks, most of the shit-kicker contractors don't know what they are doing. Depending on the ground, a piling may be more in the mud than it is above.

If the bottom is clay/silt, pumping piles in is very bad, it makes for a week pile. Pumping in sand is fine because the sand fills back in. Vibrating for sand works well, but vibrating in silt/clay is not as good as driving it in. Or, a quick push down without stopping (once movement slows, the suction grabs it and needs a whack to get it going).

Ice is stronger than wind.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381