Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine room Hasps

I have one of these that has popped off the back plate. I removed the base from the door and found the washer that grabs hold of the hasp has given up. I tried numerous locking washers but to no avail. Does anyone have an extra that they be willing to part with? Or has anyone run into the same situation and found a fix?
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Engine room Hasps

I repaired mine. The stub on the backside of the latch is soft enough to re-drive like a rivet using a hammer and solid work surface like an anvil or vise. I've done two so far, no problem.

I used some JB Weld to “glue” on back together, once. It held for years until the open door slammed close and the hasp took the brunt of that. I think that’s what breaks them, mostly, in the first place. Sam’s had them at one point and still might, but years ago they were around $75 each, as I recall. They may still have some. I haven’t looked lately.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I used some JB Weld to “glue” on back together, once. It held for years until the open door slammed close and the hasp took the brunt of that. I think that’s what breaks them, mostly, in the first place. Sam’s had them at one point and still might, but years ago they were around $75 each, as I recall. They may still have some. I haven’t looked lately.
    They still have them, I didn’t want to pay $75 if I could repair or replace with a used one. The gasp is in perfect shape it just won’t hold onto the lock washer.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by dar636 View Post
    I repaired mine. The stub on the backside of the latch is soft enough to re-drive like a rivet using a hammer and solid work surface like an anvil or vise. I've done two so far, no problem.
    I like that idea. To be clear you put the locking ring on and then hit the sub on the back to mushroom it so it won’t fall off. Is that correct? If not call be at 650-619-2308. Thanks Rusty
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I put a barrel bolt on the inside of mine. It doesn't have any sort of lockset and was duct taped shut when I first looked at boat.

Well I put the hasp in the vice and mushroomed the brass stud with a small hammer and large size nail set. It works like new again. Crossing my fingers.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I drilled and taped and used a 1/4 20 flat head bolt with a drop of lock tight.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

If the mushroom effect doesn’t work I’ll try that next.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I like that idea. To be clear you put the locking ring on and then hit the sub on the back to mushroom it so it won’t fall off. Is that correct? If not call be at 650-619-2308. Thanks Rusty
    That is correct, real simple.