Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Core repair

Re: Core repair

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Ok so the purists are going to scream but a friend of mine bought a 53c back a while ago. The deck in front of the bridge station was soft. We drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes then took a bent nail on a drill and scarfed out the material below the holes. We then shot great stuff in the holes untill it came out the other holes. After it dried we filled the holes in with thickened epoxy and painted the deck. He charter fished the boat for 5 years after that and the deck never got soft. Not a 50 year fix but it worked.
    I spent over an hour on the phone a couple of weeks ago with the owner of Viking Boatworks in Tampa, reportedly one of the best yards on the West coast of Florida. He told me every detail of Hatteras deck construction, why the water goes where it goes, etc. He went through every repair option, including the one your friend undertook. He didn't pooh-pooh the option at all, just said be aware that it can go wrong or be ineffective, and subsequent repair has been made much more difficult. My impression is it would be a reasonable repair for a relatively small area caught early before there's a lot of wet core and delamination.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

I would not use Great Stuff. It's too soft. A better alternative is higher density expandable foam which is available from several sources.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    I spent over an hour on the phone a couple of weeks ago with the owner of Viking Boatworks in Tampa, reportedly one of the best yards on the West coast of Florida. He told me every detail of Hatteras deck construction, why the water goes where it goes, etc. He went through every repair option....
    Will you pass on some of that information? Many of us would like the knowledge.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I would not use Great Stuff. It's too soft. A better alternative is higher density expandable foam which is available from several sources.

Bobk
    It was all we had at the time but there must be some hi density stuff out there. I have to think there is a better way than cutting the deck out.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

There are kits for 2 part closed cell foams that are more suited to the marine environment but they are not available in easy to use spray cheese cans like the great stuff.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    It was all we had at the time but there must be some hi density stuff out there. I have to think there is a better way than cutting the deck out.
    Expanding foam is one method that Eric (Viking) did not recommend. Easy to use, but unpredictable expansion results. His recommendation for injection was appropriately filled epoxy (not too thick, not too thin, ha-ha) injected with the refillable caulking gun cartridges, with the disclaimer I mentioned above about difficulty of future repairs. He said his yard would not use this method as it leaves wet coring in place; depending on how long you think you'll live, you might feel that's OK.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Will you pass on some of that information? Many of us would like the knowledge.
    I'd love to, but I felt like I was standing in front of a firehose - I wish I had a recorder on. I'll have to blurt out gems of wisdom as they come back to me. He stressed the importance of rebedding deck fixtures and fasteners to prevent intrusion, as Hatteras did some things that weren't good ideas. One thing I would certainly do is ring my decks with my little bronze hammer once a quarter - the smaller the problem, the easier the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    I'd love to, but I felt like I was standing in front of a firehose - I wish I had a recorder on. I'll have to blurt out gems of wisdom as they come back to me. He stressed the importance of rebedding deck fixtures and fasteners to prevent intrusion, as Hatteras did some things that weren't good ideas. One thing I would certainly do is ring my decks with my little bronze hammer once a quarter - the smaller the problem, the easier the fix.
    Go over the decks with a moisture meter too. It will show wet areas that have not yet delaminated to the point of being detected with a tapping hammer.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Go over the decks with a moisture meter too. It will show wet areas that have not yet delaminated to the point of being detected with a tapping hammer.

Bobk
    Yes, good idea. If the deck rings dull, you already have a delam. Great to completely avoid the problem if you can. I have to say I'm pretty proud of my little bronze hammer - I used it to ring grinding wheels when I was a wet-behind-the-ears manufacturing engineer sometime in the last century.

Refillable caulk tubes for epoxy? YGTBSM. You'd better keep the tubes, resin, and hardener in the fridge because you will be lucky to get it into the tube before it kicks. Once you have it in the tube it will probably kick before you can squeeze it out. Don't bother thinking about this method let alone trying it.
    Regards
    Dan