Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12-71 fuel pump

1. 12-71 fuel pump

I have been observing low fuel pressure on our stbd side engine at the engine filter and mildly hard starts as well as some idle surging. I am suspecting the fuel pump. Has anyone experinced similar symptoms? Also is the stbd a right hand or left hand rotation pump?

Re: 12-71 fuel pump

Any number of fuel system problems can cause the symptoms you are referring to. Don't condemn the pump without checking for restrictions, air leaks or other fuel quality issues. Fuel pump rotation is marked on the pump itself.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    I have been observing low fuel pressure on our stbd side engine at the engine filter and mildly hard starts as well as some idle surging. I am suspecting the fuel pump. Has anyone experinced similar symptoms? Also is the stbd a right hand or left hand rotation pump?
    I don't know your boat, but my 1987, 63MY is CW on the Starbord, CCW on port. The fuel pump is difficult to see. An easier way might be to look at your starter motor on that side. The CCW side will say something like Delco 50TCCW.

4. Re: 12-71 fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Any number of fuel system problems can cause the symptoms you are referring to. Don't condemn the pump without checking for restrictions, air leaks or other fuel quality issues. Fuel pump rotation is marked on the pump itself.
    This is good advise. So far I have replaced the racor filter, engine fuel filter and also replaced a leaking reference line that was connected to the mechanical fuel pressure guage which was also bad. I have also tried altering the feed and return lines to the other tank. All signs point to the pump. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 08-16-2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: SP :)

Thanks. I always try to give goo advice.

If you really want to dig the only other things I can think of are installing a section of clear hose near the secondary filter to make sure there's no air. Also isn't there is a pressure regulator on the return from the heads that maintains rail pressure? You may want throw an eyeball on that. OTOH, we may be overthinking it and at this point it probably is the fuel pump.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

6. Re: 12-71 fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Thanks. I always try to give goo advice.

If you really want to dig the only other things I can think of are installing a section of clear hose near the secondary filter to make sure there's no air. Also isn't there is a pressure regulator on the return from the heads that maintains rail pressure? You may want throw an eyeball on that. OTOH, we may be overthinking it and at this point it probably is the fuel pump.
    I don't think there is a pressure regulator, only a pressure release at the pump. The other possibility is a bad injector, but I am not seeing a great deal of smoke or any other bad injector symptoms.

Put a gauge on it!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

8. Re: 12-71 fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    Put a gauge on it!
    I have a guage on the pressure side of the pump at the filter housing which is how I know there is a problem.

Stbd engine has less than 5psi at idle, 40pi at Cruise. Port has 15-20psi at idle and 60psi at cruise.
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 08-17-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Change the $125 pump and see if it's the problem.

It's taken more time than worth.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

For what's its worth...both my 1271's idle at 4-5 psi and run in the 40-45 range at 1750 rpm cruise. I have no issues as you describe. In fact, I posted last month about running a tank dry and using my cross connect system to run both engines at cruise off of one pump for two days. My filters are clean; i.e., no known restrictions.

There is a idle screw governor adjustment for rolling rpm, but if it clears up on its own after warming up for a few minutes...