Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Core repair

Re: Core repair

Just a data point for the collective wisdom, I spoke to the very helpful folks at van Wagoner Boats in Tampa. Their preliminary estimate, $25,000, as long as nothing else is wrong.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    Just a data point for the collective wisdom, I spoke to the very helpful folks at van Wagoner Boats in Tampa. Their preliminary estimate, $25,000, as long as nothing else is wrong.
    This type of work will be very pricey if you pay a yard to do it, and very time consuming if you DIY it. the rot almost always goes further than anticipated unless you have good experience with this type of repair. Sounds like this one is pretty big. Proceed cautiously and get a few estimates. You don't want to get into something too big or walk away from an otherwise good deal without accurate info.
    Jack Sardina

Mike-Pate has a nice 43 MY you might want to check out. Used regularly and last I saw it looked nice.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Fair Well View Post
    Pics # 3
    Trying to keep It dry.
    Sorry I thought your post said to ask for price. After re reading it I see I asked the wrong person. Thanks
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

5. Re: Core repair

Wow! That is a serious repair. Look forward to seeing more pictures as this comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    Mike-Pate has a nice 43 MY you might want to check out. Used regularly and last I saw it looked nice.
    Fred, this is my boat in question he's taking about. Everyone is scaring the crap out of him. I don't think the area is as big as Mike described. I have had several quotes of 2-3k to fix this soft spot on the bow. It's been like this for almost 6 yrs of my ownership. I've been working and cruising so much I haven't been able to fix it. If you step on the soft spot it's soft about like an area of a little larger than a basketball. Not way past the bulkhead. We had a good fiberglass guy give us a quote of 5-6k to fix from underneath. I'm sure the surveyor will find more stuff too. I hope we can make the sale though, it's a really nice 43 as most of ya'll know. I guess I'll need to buckle down and fix this bow or I'll never sell this boat. By the time this thread is over it will Prolly be a 100k repair.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

On this boat, I will submit having been there and done it, from the bottom up is the way to go. Press coosa up into it a piece at a time and overlap the layers. Then lay up a couple of layers of glass. Don't pull the pulpit but you must remove the windlass and drill out the holes, fill and drill again if they look bad. If you don't seal it up good the windlass will take a beating all over again.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    Moving to survey on soon-to-be-mine 1985 43MY week after next. Among the thousand details to be dealt with, the port bow quarter of the foredeck is rotten, the result of faulty pulpit and windlass switch bedding. The area is defined by a 44" line from the bow along the pulpit and between the switches, a 50" line from there to the port rail (actually ends short of the toekick), then back to the bow along the toekick). I'm thinking about repairing this myself, but it would be the biggest fiberglass project by far that I've ever tackled - I've read what I could find here and elsewhere; it seems fairly straightforward, but still a lot of work for an area this big, and a very visible area to risk less than perfect results. So, it might make more sense to have a yard do the work; assuming the boat's hauled, I would also probably have them install line cutters and a chartplotter/sonar combo (boat doesn't have one, owner uses iPad for nav; I want a bottom machine to facilitate occasional wreck fishing detours while cruising, so might as well do cp/sonar combo then have iPad for nav backup). Long story short, does anybody have a recommendation for a reliable yard to do this work on the west coast of Florida, anywhere from St Pete to the south? Alternative might be to have the work done on the way home between SC and FL , but that would make checking on the work in progress kind of a pita. Thanks in advance.
    hi Mike....if you are still looking for a GOOD and Honest yard to do your work check out the guys "Fernado" at Cortez Cove Marina they are truly amazing ...they are in Cortez Village near the CG ...i take my boat there and have never had any issues with them and they stand by their work they can do anything you need....
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Just an update. The surveyor concurred with my assessment of the apparent area to be repaired, approx 3 1/2' x 4 1/2' on the foredeck, and a basketball size area on the side deck surrounding an unrepaired crack. Maybe I've found the perfect use for my 40 yr old little bronze hammer. At the yard where we hauled out, I happened to meet the freelance fiberglass guy who quoted fixing the deck. Exactly fifteen seconds into our conversation, he said the dreaded words, "it's always bigger when you open the deck". I expect his final cost will end up being much higher than his initial estimate.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Ok so the purists are going to scream but a friend of mine bought a 53c back a while ago. The deck in front of the bridge station was soft. We drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes then took a bent nail on a drill and scarfed out the material below the holes. We then shot great stuff in the holes untill it came out the other holes. After it dried we filled the holes in with thickened epoxy and painted the deck. He charter fished the boat for 5 years after that and the deck never got soft. Not a 50 year fix but it worked.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present