Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras 65' conv series 2 problem MPD computer displays ERROR

Hi everyone i have an really annoying problem, i have a hatteras 65' conv series 2 1999
    with 2 caterpillar 3412C engines and suddenly one day when i try to start the engines
    the two computers it displays just the message ERROR and none of the gauges work and i have
    no information about what this could be, the technicians i talk to all of them had told me different
    solutions. So i am living a nightmare PLEASE HELP.

Re: Hatteras 65' conv series 2 problem MPD computer displays ERROR

I wish I could help but I have no clue. I am interested in reading what the pros have to say. Best of luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

You're going to need a kitty cat doctor. Could be a soooooooo many things from a loose connection, bad resistor, blown fuse, bad ECM, etc. Just had a visit from the doctor myself, faulty oil pressure sensor, haven't had a bad sensor in 3,000 hours, go figure.
    Last edited by Cricket; 08-04-2016 at 10:15 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    You're going to need a kitty cat doctor. Could be a soooooooo many things from a loose connection, bad resistor, blow fuse, bad ECM, etc. Just had a visit from the doctor myself, faulty oil pressure sensor, haven't had a bad sensor in 3,000 hours, go figure.
    X2. You need a Cat tech to plug in his laptop and run the diagnostics. Is it both engines? Any bad lightning lately? If it's both I'd be looking for a common link like a bad ER temp or fire sensor etc. Call a certified Cat mechanic and find out what's going on. You could spend a lot of time chasing possibilities.
    Jack Sardina

Forgot to ask if the engines start.
    Jack Sardina

If the engines start it probably rules out the ECM's. Would look next for a power issue, besides a loose connection think there's a resistor in the harness at the MPD that ends the loop, also remember some type of jumper(s) wire that connects the engines together. There might be some fuses also, but can't remember for sure. Would love to have the software on a laptop to be able to connect to the engines.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Do you have multiple stations? If so, do the other displays for that engine have the error as well?

You could swap the J1939 connectors for that display for the display on the other engine and see if it stays on that side or follows the engine.

There is a termination resistor on each end of the J1939 harness. One will be on the engine, the other at the end of the harness.
    Last edited by Blaine Thorpe; 08-05-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    Blaine
    1992 43C - "Journey"
    Pace, FL

Quote Originally Posted by cavalligf View Post
    Hi everyone i have an really annoying problem, i have a hatteras 65' conv series 2 1999 with 2 caterpillar 3412C engines and suddenly one day when i try to start the enginesthe two computers it displays just the message ERROR and none of the gauges work and i have no information about what this could be, the technicians i talk to all of them had told me different solutions. So i am living a nightmare PLEASE HELP.
    Just had the same problem spent 3400.00 to find out the Murphy gauge in the eng room is bad and grounding out the J19 communication. Un plug the Murphy gauge and everything started working and communicating.

the computers read error and no information in the gauges but the engines start perfect

Look for a common link such as low voltage or a bad ground. Once the engines are started, increase the throttle to a high idle to ensure you've excited the alternators. Then check voltage at the display and computers. Have you done a cold reboot of the entire system?
    Jack Sardina