Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

suction pipe holding tank

I thought I would start a new thread for this. I have a 1987 58 MY been in fresh water most of her life. Do not have a problem yet on pump out. Thinking about changing suction tube. Being 82 i'm not sure I want to do this. Any others out there with 30 year old boats with no problems.

Re: suction pipe holding tank

Mine is 36 years old. About 6 years ago, maybe 7, I had to replace the suction tube on the forward (largest) holding tank. So far, on my second holding tank, it's still working on the original tube. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, though. The forward/larger tank is the most-used tank, and I suspect the smaller tank has sat empty way longer than the one where I did have to replace the tube. It was not a fun chore because you don't know it's broken off until it's slap full.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Done mine on 61cmy. Found out when full of course. Removed old pipe. Used temporary PVC pipe on suction hose to empty, flush and empty again. Then fished out debris with TIG rods plus looped fishing line in piece of 1/2" pipe,and shop vac on PVC pipe. After all that smelly stuff. Make new pick up out of PVC pipe with 45' cut on bottom. No problems since. BTW removed all street elbows on tank and replaced / removed scale. System has never worked as well since repair. Restrictions elbows were tearing up Galley Maid pumps before this.

37 years without an issue. I plan to switch it out this winter if it holds. I've read about these problems for the last 1 1/2 and do not want to get caught with a full tank if and when it gives up the ghost.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    37 years without an issue. I plan to switch it out this winter if it holds. I've read about these problems for the last 1 1/2 and do not want to get caught with a full tank if and when it gives up the ghost.
    I'm at 35 years and no problems I know of. Maybe I ought to bite the bullet too.

I wonder, are FW systems less likely to perforate than RW?

Bobk

Bob, You know how Murphy's law works. You are very lucky that yours still works, however I
    think you are tempting fate. You know it will fail at the worst possible time. I replaced mine about
    10 years ago.....so far, so good. We also did Ralph's boat, my previous 43 Hatt and it's also still good.
    We used PVC with the angle cut on the bottom and it seems to work fine.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Bob, You know how Murphy's law works. You are very lucky that yours still works, however I
    think you are tempting fate. You know it will fail at the worst possible time. I replaced mine about
    10 years ago.....so far, so good. We also did Ralph's boat, my previous 43 Hatt and it's also still good.
    We used PVC with the angle cut on the bottom and it seems to work fine.

Walt
    Details please.

Bobk

Cool Re: suction pipe holding tank

Just had to do my midship holding tank pick up... Or should I say I had someone do it for me. Total cost was 592.00 was very hard to get to and I had to cut into dinette back for accessibility. The cap on the top of tee was removed, a pvc set up was inserted and tightened down. Should now last indefinitely.
    John Powell
    Our Get Away II
    1980 53 MY
    Alameda, Ca

Craig from Top Hatt just finished his. Craig you need to give a blow by blow description on how you fixed yours and (hopefully) mine. I've only seen pictures but I think can go into business for himself fixing Hatteras holding tanks.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

On my 1980 37 Convertible my original pickup tube failed last summer after 35 years, 27 years of sea water flush and last 8 years of fresh water flush. The original tube was brass and way too thin to last. I was lucky as my holding tank is in the engine room between two engines and easily accessible. Replaced with PVC and good to go for many years to come. The biggest hassle was the retaining ring which is inside the tank, but managed with some ingenuity. Pour a pack of Noflex digestor into the tank before anyone works on it to prevent the gagging.....
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada