Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Air Conditioning inop in SW Florida

Our 1977 58 MY has had the original split-unit set-up bastardized beyond recognition. Had an AC tech come over a few times to refill refrigerant and the system would work well for a few weeks and then stop cooling. Of course it was a leak but he couldn't pinpoint the location. Finally determined last week that the air handler for the V-berth is shot.

Scott jumped through hoops to find a compatible unit and had it overnighted to me, and it arrived Friday. My AC tech then didn't show up to install it. Then he couldn't come on Saturday either. He promised Sunday at 11 AM, and just sent me a text that now he can't make it today either. I have family flying in tonight, so I am going to attempt the install myself.

A quick start guide came with the unit, and I can download the manual.

Here is the unit if anyone is familiar or has any suggestions! Would appreciate any tips. Hoping I can get some refrigerant...

IMAG02125.jpg

IMAG02129.jpg
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: Air Conditioning inop in SW Florida

It ain't as simple as that. I see an uncapped line that's letting moisture into the system. Your going to have to either add or replace the dryer vacuum the system down before you can even think of adding refrigerant. Make sure you have the correct type. R22 is better than gold these days
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If it is still the modulating system that was original to this Hatt, you also need to make sure your guy knows how to charge it properly. I learned years back that it had to be charged in a manner where you turn this on, that off, then that off and this on, then all on, etc. But like Scott said, it's going to have to be vacuumed down and you'll need a pump for that. There was also something about putting the R22 tank in a pail of water to keep the temp constant while you're drawing from it; can't remember why, though.

If it's the OEM modulating system, your leak could be anywhere. There are so many connections in that system, and so many possible points of failure in places you can only see with a mirror. I scrapped mine.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

It's not a modulating system anymore. The compressor is newer and and the condenser is a standard type.

The ac tech should have never left the system open. He could have bypassed the leaking evap and re charged the system until it was replaced.

He also should not have left the system open to the air but he did. He has turned a simple repair into a more involved one.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

AC 101 stuff. I'd make sure that AC pro never set foot aboard again...

As noted, it's now a much bigger job than it should have been. Maybe now's the time to learn to be an ac tech! From then on you don't have to subject to PROs that shouldn't be and those who can't keep their appointments.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    AC 101 stuff. I'd make sure that AC pro never set foot aboard again...

As noted, it's now a much bigger job than it should have been. Maybe now's the time to learn to be an ac tech! From then on you don't have to subject to PROs that shouldn't be and those who can't keep their appointments.
    Considering the $1k investment in tools and gas it may not be the best idea. Maybe finding a reliable tech would be better.

Also sometimes it's not just the basics. Experience usually brings solutions that others may not have considered.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I can't argue with that but, IMO, the comfort of knowing you can do the work yourself and DON"T have to rely on people of questionable ability or availability is, as the commercial says..."priceless."
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Hello and thanks for all of the great inputs. I guess I shamed the AC guy into coming back over yesterday afternoon. I had just returned from Home Depot with materials for plenum, drain hose extension, etc and he showed up at the dock just as I was about to "dig in". He evacuated the system (no explanation for why it was not capped). He did seem to do a proper install, re-charged everything and by the time we got back from the airport last night with my brother the lower level was down to the high 70's (which for us was heaven). The jury is still out as to whether or not it will hold up to the test of time, but the first night was a success. Hoping for a cooler week on board...

Thanks again!!
    Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I agree with Mike. It seams every time I hire someone I feel like I'm getting jerked around. I like some would prefer to spend the money on the tools and do it myself. I'm grateful I'm still young and heathy enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    Hello and thanks for all of the great inputs. I guess I shamed the AC guy into coming back over yesterday afternoon. I had just returned from Home Depot with materials for plenum, drain hose extension, etc and he showed up at the dock just as I was about to "dig in". He evacuated the system (no explanation for why it was not capped). He did seem to do a proper install, re-charged everything and by the time we got back from the airport last night with my brother the lower level was down to the high 70's (which for us was heaven). The jury is still out as to whether or not it will hold up to the test of time, but the first night was a success. Hoping for a cooler week on board...

Thanks again!!
    Jerry
    Just FYI you need to be licensed to mess with R22 which is a HCFC the fines can be $ 37,000 per day I believe . You need a EPA 608 certification/license