Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NAIAD 252 Stabilisers

I recently had the rams changed out while I was out of town so they didn't get sea trialed. While running the engines dockside, I turned on the stabilizers. Usually at the dock they both cycle through and center. This time they both cycled wildly with the port one not returning to center even when I pushed the center button.

Other than call the tech for doing a half assed job, where should I start trouble shooting this?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY
    Tampa

Re: NAIAD 252 Stabilisers

Air in the system?

Bobk

It's possible they didn't properly mark and reinstall the position sensor. It's under the blue dome cap.

So the tech who replaced the cylendars diagnosed the problem by phone and concluded I need a new gyro for $1200 plus travel and installation.

The gyro worked fine before we replaced the cylanders. What would make the gyro suddenly go bad?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    So the tech who replaced the cylendars diagnosed the problem by phone and concluded I need a new gyro for $1200 plus travel and installation.

The gyro worked fine before we replaced the cylanders. What would make the gyro suddenly go bad?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY
    Tampa
    The tech.

Nothing else was disturbed was it?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Hey, I'm not a NIAD tech, and don't pretend to be one. But I have rebuilt one of the ram cylinders. To get it off, I had to take (jack) the big metal plate covering the tie rod end off (retaining pin was stuck). To get that plate off, I had to disconnect and move the position sensor. I marked it's location when the fin was centered, and put it back on in the same place... if the fin isn't going back to center, that's the 1st place I'd look.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 07-05-2016 at 05:24 PM.

1) are you sure about the travel of the fins? Did you watch the cylinders on each side or are you just looking at the indicators on the dash?
    2) if they are indeed moving incorrectly, are you sure he hooked the lines up correctly? Look at the schematic in the Naiad manual and follow the lines to make sure they are correct.
    3) If the lines are right, I would then look at the feedback assemblies
    4) gyro is probably not the issue
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I don't see how a defective gyro would affect th center function
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I don't see how a defective gyro would affect th center function
    Right. When the valve is switched to center, it bypasses the gyro altogether. Just look at the gyro pressure. It will be zero in center mode. It should be 200-400psi in the "on" position.

Also, a new gyro is not $1200. That is the price to send yours in for a rebuild. A new one would be much more.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

As they mentioned before, make sure that the rams are cyclin by taking a look a them. If they are not, it may be a problem with the position sensor. If one of the fins do not return to center you have to graduate the position sensor. Take of the cover on the back it ussually has some safety wire.There is a allen screw that you have to move counterclockwise , all this is done with the engine that powers the system on, and do it slowlly until you see the fin move to the center position. There is some marks on the plates. Good luck.