Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine zinks

Engine zinks

So we all we all get worn down by a barrage of opinions that may be true or not. When I first joined the HOF any electrical or bonding question was answered with "well Caulder says..." Caulder a god like figure bellowing answered to electrical questions from on high. Members would quote scriptures from his bible with cult like belief.
    So after nearly 40 years of using engine zinks I ran out of my stockpile 2 years ago and joined the no zink cult.
    Here's what I found when I opened up the pumps after 2 years. Yes that's electrolisi pitting on the cover plates.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Engine zinks

How do you tell the difference between cavitation pitting and electrolysis?? What dissimilar metals are there in the RW pump?? I had the same thing on my previous boat's pump after I stopped putting zincs in the pump side because all they did were break off early and end up in the intercooler. I thought it was just cavitation.....Pat

It ain't cavitation around the bolt holes or where the gasket sits
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

I always changed them before they got too bad or broke off. I mean do you wait till your tires are completely bald whith cord showing before you replace them?

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Interesting...our boat has never had zincs in the water pump since new (per log entries). I pull the impellers every winter and have been doing it every year since we purchased the boat in 2004 and the cover plates are smooth with no pitting.

Since neither of us is using zincs in the pump it makes me think that the pitting is not directly related to whether there is or is not a pump zinc. Maybe something to do with the bonding system? Maybe the type of screws used on the plate (bronze vs SS, etc)? Maybe the gasket sealing material - some kind of metal as used in some of the anti-seize products?

This subject is certainly not one I have any expertise at all in and it seems fraught with conflicting info/opinions. Heck, the fact that US practice is bond all metal and european practice is to NOT bond anything makes it pretty darned confusing!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

That pink color in the pits definitely says galvanic corrosion.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    That pink color in the pits definitely says galvanic corrosion.
    I thought that was from the rainbow coalition.
    Jack Sardina

Thats a more accepting outlook.

Accept me for who I am not for the fact that I will not ever in any way work within the boundaries of common society, never will respect the opinions or beliefs of others who fit the norm and will never become part of the majority because you cant force me to.

I do need an acronym though.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Interesting...our boat has never had zincs in the water pump since new (per log entries). I pull the impellers every winter and have been doing it every year since we purchased the boat in 2004 and the cover plates are smooth with no pitting.

Since neither of us is using zincs in the pump it makes me think that the pitting is not directly related to whether there is or is not a pump zinc. Maybe something to do with the bonding system? Maybe the type of screws used on the plate (bronze vs SS, etc)? Maybe the gasket sealing material - some kind of metal as used in some of the anti-seize products?

This subject is certainly not one I have any expertise at all in and it seems fraught with conflicting info/opinions. Heck, the fact that US practice is bond all metal and european practice is to NOT bond anything makes it pretty darned confusing!
    Nothing's changed in the last at least 20 years same grease same SS screws in the pump cover just left out the zinks for the last 2 years. It's possible the cover wasn't making good enough contact to bond it to the system

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

So now do you just flip it? Should be good for another 20.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"