Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Princess Range Knobs Suck!

Over the last ten years with the 'new' range top and oven we have had many knobs break because they are made of the wrong plastic. As a plastics chemist I know the signs and told Princess what to use, but that falls on deaf ears. I'm tired of buying this expensive junk. Has anyone found a source for aftermarket knobs that fit and last?

Bobk

Re: Princess Range Knobs Suck!

No doubt they are suffering from "cheapitis".

Even the ones that have metal covers are just covering up cheap plastic. Sorry no help here. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    No doubt they are suffering from "cheapitis".
    Jim, this is probably a matter of 'stupiditius'. They need to use a crystalline resin, preferably glass reinforced, rather than an amorphous resin to resist the vapors of cooking grease. But they would not sell as many knobs at a ridiculous price.

I found some knob kits that are supposed to fit all sizes. If no one comes up with a better idea, I'll buy one off EBay and give it a try.

Bobk

You told them what to use! that's funny. Perhaps you can do what I did. Take the non-damaged knobs and fill the underside with a solid but not brittle hardening product. I taped off the outside of the knob and filled the underside 100% with plastidip. I let it harden for a couple days and I haven't had a broken knob since.

Very clever. I'II try that myself in two weeks. This is ingenuity at its best.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    You told them what to use! that's funny. Perhaps you can do what I did. Take the non-damaged knobs and fill the underside with a solid but not brittle hardening product. I taped off the outside of the knob and filled the underside 100% with plastidip. I let it harden for a couple days and I haven't had a broken knob since.
    Good idea. If I had thought of it, I'd have used epoxy. Anyway, I just received and installed knobs from Coulton Appliance parts in CA. They look modern and solid. We'll see.

Bobk

With 3D printers being very common now have you considered making your own range knobs using an appropriate type of plastic stock?

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Quote Originally Posted by lake of the woods View Post
    With 3D printers being very common now have you considered making your own range knobs using an appropriate type of plastic stock?

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC
    No, it never entered my mind and I have zero knowledge of the process. This was easier.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by lake of the woods View Post

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC
    Good point. Curious if you have experience with them? Mine is pretty much seeing the guys on Big Bang use them.

But per the press, 3D printers will become the total go to in the future. Amazing what they are doing ... toys to car parts and beyond. The one piece I saw was sobering (CBS Sunday Morning?) One interviewee said it's only chemistry so I turned back to Big Bang!
    Last edited by tellico; 06-28-2016 at 08:06 AM.