Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

a/c plastic pipe fittings

i just had a bronze elbow/hose barb failure. i am going to replace all bronze with plastic. i will be going from the pump plastic housing 3/4 male thread to plastic elbow then to 1 inch hose barb, do ya'll like threaded or glue fittings for the plastic? everything beyound this connection is already plastic including the water manifold recommended by spcoolin (r.i.p.). i

Re: a/c plastic pipe fittings

Glue is stronger however for ease of dismantling it if something goes wrong threaded might be a good choice. Really surprised the bronze failed.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Glue is stronger however for ease of dismantling it if something goes wrong threaded might be a good choice. Really surprised the bronze failed.
    Yeah, it might have been brass and not bronze unless there was a bad electrolysis issue.

Bobk

Use of Teflon tape or not bonded is my guess. My neighbor just two weeks ago almost lost his 65 Donzi due to PVC used for the chilled water AC system. It was all brittle and had to be replaced.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Elbows can affect flow so space permitting, use a straight fitting with a longer hose looping in the right direction.

I woudlnt use PVC on air con raw water side. On chilled water system PVC is often used on the fresh water loop but that's not going to sink the boat in case of a failure.

Marelon or nylon is best in your case, you really don't need any glue, just put some Teflon tape on the thread to help seal them.

This is another reminder to everyone to check and remove any brass nipples in their Ac system... Been there, done that...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

when i bought the fitting from donovan marine it claimed to be brass, it failed where the threaded nipple screwed onto the elbow, the threads were all but gone. it was spraying water, i couple of more days and it would have broken off and flooded the boat

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    when i bought the fitting from donovan marine it claimed to be brass, it failed where the threaded nipple screwed onto the elbow, the threads were all but gone. it was spraying water, i couple of more days and it would have broken off and flooded the boat
    Y can not use brass in salt water, it will corrode to the point were th threads will become paper thin and eventually fail. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to find bronze nipples so th only solution if you want to stick with bronze is to use bronze barb fittings with double clamped hoses.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Teflon tape is primarily a thread lubricant, not a sealent. Use 'True:-Blu' . Available at home depot. It is a liquid Teflon sealent that dries but doesn't harden so u can remove the fitting at a later date without damage. It works great.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    One clue to watch for is the blue stain that starts to appear as a brass fitting gets thin. That tells you it is likely almost toast.

Bobk

sorry guys, that was meant to be bronze fitting, i must have had brass on my mind when typing