Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Naiad stabilizer service

I'm in Daytona, and a few years ago, had Stabilized Marine come up from Ft Lauderdale to service the stabilizers. They did good work, but they were VERY proud of their work. Does anyone know of someone in this area who can service Naiad's? Any firsthand experience?
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Re: Naiad stabilizer service

Quote Originally Posted by z28jimi View Post
    I'm in Daytona, and a few years ago, had Stabilized Marine come up from Ft Lauderdale to service the stabilizers. They did good work, but they were VERY proud of their work. Does anyone know of someone in this area who can service Naiad's? Any firsthand experience?
    What do you need to have done? Maybe call Naiad and ask that question. I would not use Craig at Stabilized.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

That's who I used last time, and while the work was done well, it was very expensive. In their defense, the shafts were both badly pitted at the seal line, and both had to be replaced. Based on what I was charged for them, I'm convinced the shafts are silver-plated gold. I don't know if the old ones could have been repaired or not. I was told not. I was on the hard with the clock ticking, so just bit the bullet and paid for two new shafts.

That's the long story. The short answer to your question is that it's been three, maybe four years now, so I'm due for new seals by Naiad's schedule. If I can find a local outfit who knows what they are doing, I'd rather work with them than go back to the folks from Ft. L.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Naiad can give you a list of area people to do the job. You really need to R/R the seals every 2-3 years. That said, if you can make up or borrow the tool to unbolt the fins, you can probably DIY.

Bobk

Replacing seals is not a bad job. Naiad will send the puller jack screw to remove the fins. You just need a 3/4 ratchet and some large sockets. Actually any yard should be able to change the seals.
    Sky Cheney

Interesting that Niaad supposedly will lend the "special tool" to remove the fins. A close friend just recently purchased a 1990 Ocean 48 MY. The stabilizers haven't been serviced in about 5 years or more since the boat's owner had been very ill and his family sold it upon his demise. Based upon the posts from all you folks on this forum about the importance of seal replacement, I advised my friend (a young man, the son of a life long friend) to change the seals ASAP. He ordered the new seals and some sort of cupped washers from Niaad and asked about the loaner tool and was told it was no longer available as a loaner. They sold him one for $350.00 instead. I can't believe that any company of such good repute as Niaad would rip someone off for that much money for what amounts to a 14" or so length of 1.3/8" dia steel bar with a hex milled on one end and 10 TPI cut on the other end. Just for the fun of it I retrieved a piece of old Aquamet propeller shafting from my metal rack and duplicated it. I have a Bridgeport milling machine and a couple of engine lathes in my shop at home. Total job took a couple of hours and it's at least as good as the factory tool. BTW if anyone would like to have their very own removal tool, let me know. The price of the seals and the cupped washers seemed very high as well, but I need to draw the line on machining stuff, since I am not in the business and do these things as a hobby.

Walt
    Last edited by Walter P; 06-23-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Walt in today's economy your time making that tool is worth $350.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

You're right Fred, but I spent a couple or hours making one piece. If I was making 100 pieces the time to produce each piece would amount to a couple of minutes since it would not be done on a Bridgeport and an engine lathe. CNC is the only way to do production runs today but for a "onesy" a couple of hours of hobby time is no big deal, especially if it's a fun job and not a real job.

Walt

All you really need is two seals per side. But, I highly recommend also buying the outer ring and screws that hold that ring in. You may be able to reuse the old ring, but since it might be caulked in with 5200, you may bend it up while removing it.
    Sky Cheney

Stabilizers are a small market, manufacturers have a small customer group to generate revenue. So parts aren't cheap.

Naiad makes a good product, even the fin puller, although I think it is fairly priced. I have spoke to Naiad and they are very helpful, some other stabilizer manufacturers not so much.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY