Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Detroit 8V71N 12 volt generator/ alternator help needed

Hello Everyone,

I have the original Delco Remy 12 volt generators on my 1967 detroit 8v71 naturals and the starboard generator is no longer charging. Does anyone know of a direct replacement for these generators or an alternator setup that can be purchased to do the job?

Thanks,
    Alex

Re: Detroit 8V71N 12 volt generator/ alternator help needed

First thing I'd do is take it to an alternator shop and see if they can rebuild it, which is likely the case.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

If it's original, but I would be surprised, a 21SI or 35SI, the 35 is brushless and avialdle in 12, 24 and 32 volt. In both cases the regulator would no longer be needed, just positive and negative wires.

JM

Your alternator would like qualify as a core if you decide to change.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Please do not tell my boat that it has a school bus alternator on it!!!! Lots of options all you need to match is the mounting they can turn either way. If you have J&T engines they can tell you what it left the factory with. Just give them the serial numbers ask for the legacy division. Good luck.

The mounting is likely SAE J110.

Try to consider the school bus has a Hatteras alternator!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

School buses ain't that tough!!!! However using that idea the school bus has reliability.

I trust you checked the alternator feed fuse 10amp. those alts are very tough, you should be able to get it repaired almost anywhere.

Pete

If you are in South Florida there a several shops that will rebuild it.

Big difference alternator or generator…you need to find out what you have and consider if an upgrade to an alternator system is a good idea. Alternators generally charge quicker and keep up with battery high battery load.