Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53 Hatteras motor yacht 5 blade props's

I noticed that Eric has a 53 Hatteras with 5 blade props listed for sale . He advertises that it's top speed is 21 knots . Does anyone else have a 53 my with 5 blade props ?

Re: 53 Hatteras motor yacht 5 blade props's

4 blade sorry. Would love to know if it increases the spread over water.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

From owner's notes that he provided: • Model MG-5091 twin disk transmissions, solid stainless shafts, drip less bearings, and 5 blade 35 inch props installed in 1992 (fast, smooth, and efficient). I have had the boat up to 21 knots and used to cruise at 16. I now run at about 9 knots for fuel efficiency (1 to 1.2 gal per mile depending). Stern sucks down in shallow water. It burns about 38.5 gph at 16-17 knots.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I have know a couple of these boats where they put in new transmissions with 3:1 reduction and 5 bladed props. Everyone claims that they gain several knots with this setup. Ask Nightingale. That is what was done on his 56MY.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    From owner's notes that he provided: • Model MG-5091 twin disk transmissions, solid stainless shafts, drip less bearings, and 5 blade 35 inch props installed in 1992 (fast, smooth, and efficient). I have had the boat up to 21 knots and used to cruise at 16. I now run at about 9 knots for fuel efficiency (1 to 1.2 gal per mile depending). Stern sucks down in shallow water. It burns about 38.5 gph at 16-17 knots.
    Must be deep reduction gears for such big wheels. Props won't increase speed only allow you to optimize efficiency. I'm sure the combo of the gears and new running gear have her running well. I'd also bet this boat isn't loaded down with a bunch of extra gear and weight.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 06-07-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Jack Sardina

I'd be more interested in that 58LRC he has listed. It looks like a nice refit. But I'm not sure how I feel about getting rid of the head in the fwd stateroom.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I'd be more interested in that 58LRC he has listed. It looks like a nice refit. But I'm not sure how I feel about getting rid of the head in the fwd stateroom.
    It's tough to get a sense from photos of how wonderful that forward stateroom/office is with the head compartment gone. Bear in mind that there is another head/shower right next door between there and the mid-guest, and 2 other heads on the boat. Quote from the (wife of) owner who did the refit: "We don't need 4 toilets on this boat!"
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Ok, my source who spoke with the owner of that 53ED a few years ago tells me that the transmissions are TD 3.8 to 1 reduction. I know of another 53 that is getting refit in the same way with new deeper reduction gears, new shafts and struts and new props. It will interesting to see how much performance is increased. If nothing else, it is sure to be quieter and smoother with deeper reduction.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    It's tough to get a sense from photos of how wonderful that forward stateroom/office is with the head compartment gone. Bear in mind that there is another head/shower right next door between there and the mid-guest, and 2 other heads on the boat. Quote from the (wife of) owner who did the refit: "We don't need 4 toilets on this boat!"
    You are probably right. I just can't really envision it. Maybe I'll have to come out there and take a look
    Sky Cheney