Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Metal Polish

Re: Metal Polish

Guys, give Miracle Cloth a try. It’s available @ West. It’s a cloth saturated with cleaners, polishers and wax. I highly recommend it and so does Powerboat Reports (Flitz came in second in a test a few months back). Just wipe the metal with the cloth until clean and shinny and your done. This works on all metals! The cloth lasts a very long time. You basically use it until the cloth falls apart. It’s inexpensive also.

2. Re: Metal Polish

I used to swear by Flitz, but then I found Yachttex. That stuff it Amazing. you can use it on anything from fiberglass and paint to metal for polishing. I met the owner a few weeks ago and he said West Marine is about to start carrying it as soon as he gets enough product made. So, you should see it soon in their stores.

If not, you can look at Galati yacht sales offices, or there are a few local places taht will be carrying it soon.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

I have been taking ss hardware off of the boat and polishing on a wheel at home. using 2 compounds. they look better than new.

I have had the best luck with Collinite's Metal Wax. The shine seems to last longer. BoatUS carries it. WM does not, which may mean that it will disapepar out of there since BoatUS stores are about to be history. Simichrome and Flitz are good. Miracle cloth is okay but not as good as Collinite if you ask me. Probably the most important thing is a good supply of CDs you like to listen to, since all of these products involve a lot of time to spend on the pieces you are polishing

Capten, yes simichrome really is that good, especially for soft metals like aluminum, brass, silver, etc. I use it on the bare aluminum and brass parts of my '73 Norton and '38 Bentley. It has no equal for these applications, but as I said, it's a waste of time on a boat where the (exterior) surfaces get exposed to salt water. However, if you're planning to exibit at a concours...............
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

luckydave,

Concours prepared and other shows is exactly what I was planning on using it for. I'll be starting to get things ready for the April shows over the next few weeks so I think I'll add the Simichrome to the list of things to do which includes at least 4 more coats of Liquid Glass.

Thanks for the tip.