Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metal Polish

Metal Polish

I just picked up a used fighting chair and wanted to know the most effective metal polish you've all used. The chair has just had an initial polish on my part but I want to get something that will really do a number on it. I guess i'll end up using this on all the chrome on the boat as well as the aluminum on the hardtop frame/arch. Would be nice if it put a protective coating on the metal as well....not just a cleaner.

Red face Re: Metal Polish

I get the best results with Flitz (paste in the squeeze tube or liquid) using a very dense/fine terrycloth type towel. I can only comment about using it on stainless steel, I have not used it on aluminum. I always follow-up with a good paste wax and get a complete season of shine up here in the Lakes. There may be better products, but am stuck in that 'it works for me' rut so have only tried 5-6 other brands.

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Re: Metal Polish

Agree on the Flitz for stainless. Good stuff. I don't think I would use it on aluminum though. Try their polishing and buffing ball also (http://www.flitz.com/) it works pretty well.

Another product that works well on stainless, chrome, and aluminum is Mothers Chrome Polish. I like the paste on the cars but I guess the liquid would be ok too. Although I haven't used it on the boats yet I plan too this spring. It really does a nice job on chrome bumpers and aluminum exhaust.

As far as aluminum clean up and polish, I like the Rupp Alumaguard spray for quick cleanups and shine.
    Last edited by Capten; 02-13-2006 at 11:53 PM.

The absolute best ever is called Simichrome, and comes in a small, expensive tube. People who restore classic cars and bikes will use nothing else. It has no equal for aluminum, and will literally give a mirror finish if used with enough determination. HOWEVER, it's too expensive to use on the large surfaces of a boat, brite boy works well enough, and it's reasonably priced. Use plenty, it's cheap.
    Remember, it's the ammonia compounds in any polish that remove most of the oxidation, the fine abrasive of the very expensive polishes gives the super duper shine. A shine that won't last a day on the water anyway so save your effort for something worthwile.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Hear hear on the Flitz!!!!, Cleans and polishes with not a lot of effort.
    JW

I have never had really good luck using Flitz on aluminum. My choice has always been Mothers Aluminum Polish. It doesn't require a lot of effort, brings out a really good shine that seems to last. The biggest problem you will have is the water spotting from the spray, or at least that is my experience on the Muddy Missy.

Where can I get flitz? I tried a couple of marine stores nearby and none of them had it. What about mothers? Is that the same stuff you get at say Pepboys?

I highly recommend Collonites metal polish. I've only been able to locate it in Boat US stores. It works wonders on aluminum. Good luck!!!

Allen

You might try your local Harley Davidson dealer for either Flitz or Mothers. That is where I usually get mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackman
    Where can I get flitz? I tried a couple of marine stores nearby and none of them had it. What about mothers? Is that the same stuff you get at say Pepboys?
    Jack,
    West, Boaters World, etc should all carry the Flitz. It comes in a metal toothpaste tube. Try the West up on Highway One in Rehoboth - they should have it. http://tinyurl.com/7hnx8

And yes, the Mothers is the same stuff you can get at PepBoys, etc. COmes in a small white can (paste) or a red bottle (liquid).

LUCKYDAVE - is the Simichrome really that good? You've got me curious. I think I will try some out. You can find it on the net for under $7 a tube with shipping.