Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CO2 Fire Supression System

1981 56MY
    What does it take to have one of these inspected?
    Any idea of the cost?
    mark

Re: CO2 Fire Supression System

Inexpensive. $50-75 unless servicer has some extended travel time. Basically it's weighing to check for charge, inspecting the plumbing, wiring and mounting.

Does anyone know of an inspector in the Stuart fl area?

If the bottle is due for hydro testing it's a whole different ball game price-wise.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Do u know of anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    If the bottle is due for hydro testing it's a whole different ball game price-wise.
    Exactly. I had it done by a fellow club member's company 10 years ago and still thought it pricy. It has to be brought to the shop, hydro tested, dried and refilled and reinstalled. They are heavy...be sure to pad areas where lugging the thing around might cause scratches. They nailed one of my 1" thick Plexiglas doors.

Google fire extinguisher service to find the service. You want one that works on boats. I used one from Ft Lauderdale.

Bobk
    Last edited by bobk; 05-29-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Thx for the help

When I bought my boat almost 6 yrs ago, that was one of my "Oh by the way" you need your C02 cylinder hyrotested. The company in Wilmington, NC had to come out and remove the bottle, ship it to Raliegh, NC for discharge and rebuilding of the Valve. Any time you discharge the C02 they said you need to rebuild the valve. I cant understand that. Anyway, they hydro tested it and replaced it and tested the pancake sensor. At first the pancake sensor didnt fire off. You check it while the bottle is disconnected so you wont discharge the contents of the bottle. I had to tighten all fittings. Apparently one little fitting was leaking. I put a wrench on the fitting and turned it 1/4 turn and the leak stopped. I used a heat gun to heat up the sensor to activate the trigger. All went well after that and I was glad they were helping me handle the 120 lb bottle. Total cost was $350 dollars. A not so good surprise.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I think $50-$75 is a great price if you can find it. I am in Port St. Lucie and use Preventive Fire & Safety Equipment, Inc. Rob is the technician.

My bill was very pricey as I had a bottle go off while we were in the Bahamas (not a fire thank goodness!) The valve was bad and it got expensive.

I had my bottles hydro tested when we bought the boat which is good for either 12 or 13 years. That was done in R.I.

I think Preventive charges $250.00 per bottle (includes weighing, checking valves, sensors, etc.). They will also service all of your portables.

They are out of Lake Park. 561-863-9900.
    Last edited by PeterK; 05-29-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarity

Pate, who did you use here in the Wilmington area. I gotta get mine done.

Thanks
    Lee