Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

King Size update to the HOF community

Some of you may recall a tragic accident to one of our members called King Size about 8 years ago. Jeff was an infrequent poster but a lifelong boater who had a 38C in the Chicago area. He was returning from a family boat outing on the 4th of July when he was rear-ended by a semi at a red light and suffered near-fatal injuries.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ight=king+size

For me, the outpouring of support said a lot about our HOF community. Our member Akin had a slip next to Jeff and kept us updated, as did Jeff's son Spenser.

One moral of the story is how fast our lives can change--literally in the blink of an eye.

==========

For some reason, the event crossed my mind recently and I reached out to Spenser to find out how Jeff's recovery came out--I know many of you had him in your thoughts and prayers.

Spenser has since graduated from college and on to a career as an adult, but clearly the tragedy created a strength of spirit in him as a lasting legacy to his dad.

Below are excerpts of his reply:

Thank you for emailing and asking about him. Not many people remember that he still exists in our world.

He experienced 3rd degree burns to 26% of his body, with the majority of it from his shoulders and up. All of his facial features were completely destroyed, causing us to put him through countless plastic surgeries to make his mouth, nose, and eyes functional again. His vision was pretty much completely destroyed leaving him unable to see.

He also suffers severe brain damage. He remembers most things prior to the accident; however, his short term memory, along with the ability to do basic things on his own are all completely gone. He has a nurse with him around the clock.
    I consider myself lucky though. Not many children are raised by such an intelligent, loving, and dedicated father. I'm blessed to have learned from him for the first 18 years of my life, and I live in inspiration by watching him continue to fight through this terrible recovery every day.

Thank you again for checking in on us. It means more than you probably know-

Most respectfully,

Spenser Scheinman

spenser.scheinman@gmail.com

I know the members here who recall the accident still wish for the best for Jeff and his family going forward. Often we are touched by the immediate event but may forget the ongoing struggle and continuing effort of the family in the years that follow. I have copied him on this post so he can convey your thoughts to Jeff.

DAN
    Last edited by drburke; 05-18-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Re: King Size update to the HOF community

Man, that's tough and inspiring at the same time. Thanks for sharing.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Really made me step back and think of how fortunate we are and how quickly life can change. So sorry to hear about this gentleman. How lucky he is have raised such a son.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Such a tragic event that totally affected this family. However, his Son's words serve as a true inspiration and dedication to his Father and an example many could follow.

My thoughts and prayers are with them.
    Art

I wasn't here 8 years ago, but your story once again puts life in perspective. Here but for the grace...... Thanks OP for sharing. I wish all involved continued strength.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Weird coincidence that this came up because I had one of those brain flashes over the weekend where the name King Size just popped into my head and I wondered how things were going.

I'm sorry to hear that the recovery hasn't gone better, but he seems to have good people around him. Hopefully things will improve. Thanks for the update and I wish everybody the best.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375