Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras vs Viking Motoryachts

Oh this thread should be fun.

It's no secret that the Admiral and I are actively searching for a 53-65' MY. I've limited my search to 2 quality brands - Hatteras and Viking.

I have to be honest- the Admiral prefers the layout of Viking. Especially the 55' Viking MY. She likes the stairway to the bridge as opposed to the lower helm ladder on most 58'+ Hatts. Besides that, she thinks the 55 Viking is just cozier.
    She also likes the complete walk around deck as opposed to having to go through the salon when going bow to stern.

So give me some counterpoints to compare or I might just end up with a Viking MY.
    Last edited by Passages; 05-11-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Re: Hatteras vs Viking Motoryachts

Blasphemy!!!
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

What? You've been a HOF memeber for 10 years and have over 2K post and you need to ask a question why is hatteras better than Viking? I bought a Hatteras mainly because of this HOF site that I knew I could count on people to help me when I had a question. Ford or Chevy? Did I miss something? Your screen name is Passages. Have you been traveling by boat? Sorry for the questions, I havent read some of your previous post. I dont mean to be a pain either. I am loyal to Hatteras only because I have met so many great people here on the HOF and we all like our boats.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

OK, I deserved that.

FWIW - I've been out of big boats since I sold Passages in 2008. (Got out in just the nick of time)
    I really have not posted much for the last few years.

From a technical point, I have some ammo such a better sea keeping, DD 71's as opposed to the more sensitive 92's, structural integrity - but Viking ain't no Carver either, build records & spare parts availability (Thanks SAMS) and of course you wonderful folks here on HOF (even Freeebird).

On the downside for Hatteras - less cozy interiors according to Admiral, window leaks are more of an issue, Deeper drafts means fewer harbor options and more fuel consumption.

Did I miss anything?
    Last edited by Passages; 05-11-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Vikings are big and plush. Id consider it a better live aboard but choose your days for crossings more cautiously than a Hatt.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by magnawake View Post
    What? You've been a HOF memeber for 10 years and have over 2K post and you need to ask a question why is hatteras better than Viking?
    1,900 of his posts have been about boat shopping.

Honestly, if I were looking at a liveaboard, I wouldn't limit myself to Hatteras either. In fact, my "realistic" liveaboard dream boat is a 61' Tollycraft. Come to think about it, I believe Jim boarded one of those with me at FLIBS a few years ago. Only the second one I've ever been on with the first being over 25 years ago. Fell in love with that one and never got over it.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 05-11-2016 at 11:47 AM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I had always heard that the vikings had a flatter bottom and therefore tended to pound more in comparable seas.

Also remember being told that they had hull issues for a few years. Something regards the stringers not being robust enough.

I too like the layout of the Viking, but my a$$ is worth something to me and if I get myself into trouble (more than likely) I would like to know I have the most sea worthy vessel in the MY class.

Let her pick the curtains, you pick the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    I had always heard that the vikings had a flatter bottom and therefore tended to pound more in comparable seas.

Also remember being told that they had hull issues for a few years. Something regards the stringers not being robust enough.

I too like the layout of the Viking, but my a$$ is worth something to me and if I get myself into trouble (more than likely) I would like to know I have the most sea worthy vessel in the MY class.

Let her pick the curtains, you pick the boat.
    Haha. I hope you're single. Or your wife doesn't read the forum.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

My only experience with them is a delivery a few years ago, a 60 something with 12v71. Good boat, well built. Fantastic engine room. Viking MY were built by the Lazzara family near Tampa, who later went on building their own boats obviously (before Viking they build gulfstars trawlers and motor sailors)

I didn't care for the 80s vintage modern interior decor, but no worst that hatteras white wash if that era

I never ran her in rough stuff, we had a smooth gulf steam crossing that day
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

When I started looking at my 53, I also looked at the 44 Viking. Both nice boats. Not knowing what Viking put in the "other" boat your looking at for engines, I would guess that the Viking is a little faster (maybe double)? My initial and still opinion is that the Viking MY's are ugly. Bad lines. Looks like a sport fish with a hard camper top mounted on the the cockpit. Just sayin'… The biggest reason I chose the Hatt is 1) looks; 2) stout construction; 3) this forum and its knowledge. Don't under estimate this forum's ability to keep you on the water with what could be expensive repairs for a yard to complete (and half @$@ the repair). I myself, just traded out of my Hatt to go with "another brand" (due to how I'm currently using my boat) and the other brand also has a forum. Its crap. I can't get any info from it. The members on that forum are clueless about their boats, and boating in general. Its like doing a solo crossing without a VHF or ice maker!

Go with the Hatt.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY