Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: RHO Boat - 65' MY in Lauderdale - Anyone know it?

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    Now that BoatUS is a Berkshire company I wouldn't count on continued excellence on the claims front. It'll be a study in how to squeeze more shekels out of a brand....
    I knew they had changed hands, but how long ago was it? I had the impression that Berkshire had acquired them a while ago, and from what I know the service is still good on claims. Anyone have comments?

Seaworthy marine ins is a Berkshire Hathaway co. They used BOATUS claims service for thier customers. I believe that's where the connection started. Big question is did BH buy BOATUS because they liked what they saw or did they buy it thinking they could scale back the service and increase profits?
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    Now that BoatUS is a Berkshire company I wouldn't count on continued excellence on the claims front. It'll be a study in how to squeeze more shekels out of a brand....
    I guess I'm hedged since I have a pile of BRK-B
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I knew they had changed hands, but how long ago was it? I had the impression that Berkshire had acquired them a while ago, and from what I know the service is still good on claims. Anyone have comments?
    Recently noticed that my Boat US policy on the Hatt is underwritten by Geico. Not renewing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrafford View Post
    Recently noticed that my Boat US policy on the Hatt is underwritten by Geico. Not renewing it.
    My Seaworthy policy became Geico. Seaworthy was a BH company and I was told that there are no changes other than the name. Geico doesn't give me a good feeling for yacht coverage. I've never had thier auto policy but those I know who've had claims with Geico didn't have a good experience.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    My Seaworthy policy became Geico. Seaworthy was a BH company and I was told that there are no changes other than the name. Geico doesn't give me a good feeling for yacht coverage. I've never had thier auto policy but those I know who've had claims with Geico didn't have a good experience.
    Similar perspective. My agent is shifting me to a Lloyds product. Less money and much stronger policy.

Jeffrey M. Spector l Marine Insurance Advisor
    Brown & Brown Marine l A Division of Brown & Brown of Florida, Inc.
    1201 W. Cypress Creek Road, Suite 130 Fort Lauderdale FL 33309
    Direct: 954-331-1359

Quote Originally Posted by rtrafford View Post
    Similar perspective. My agent is shifting me to a Lloyds product. Less money and much stronger policy.
    Watch out with a lloyds policy. Usually some big gaps in coverage. Huge named storm discounts are common.
    Jack Sardina

I was with BoatUS when we lost the 63' Viking during Hurricane Ike in 2008; I had insured it at the top of the market, and they paid the claim without a bit of hassle. It pays to shop around and you have to periodically change to keep a competitive premium. I have been with Beacon-Marine Underwriters, and they were nice to work with at a policy level but had no claims. I am currently with Pantaenius due to a favorable deductible policy on named windstorms. I switched to John Robertson out of Houston after I saw how active he was with his clients after Ike. I also like John because he is always available on his cell phone for questions and advice. His number is 713-703-9999, and he does service several of our member's boats in FL despite being based in TX.

Asa Lockhart
    67' CMY