Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Location of transom steps

Need to install transom boarding fold down steps on a 1983 32 sportfish in case I fall over when fishing alone. Was wondering on best location for 3 steps. I assume the lowest step has to be below the waterline. Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: Location of transom steps

Hope you are wearing a tethering line and a good inflatable harness when alone. Remember, there is also current.

Jonathan Brein

Quote Originally Posted by hattster View Post
    Need to install transom boarding fold down steps on a 1983 32 sportfish in case I fall over when fishing alone. Was wondering on best location for 3 steps. I assume the lowest step has to be below the waterline. Any suggestions appreciated.
    If you can make it work, consider a 4th step. On more than one occasion (3 so far), I've had to help people that were tired and panicky after ending up in the water unexpectedly that just didn't have the strength to get their leg up that high and leverage themselves up.

As for what works on a transom without a platform, I'm following......
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Don't forget the handholds. Even with steps, you will have a tough time climbing up the transom without something to grab onto. You are right, the first step needs to be as low as you can make it on the transom, but you need a bar to grab to pull yourself up to get your foot onto it and leverage yourself up to the next.

I'm a diver and have seen plenty of poorly executed swim steps.

I'm hoping your drift fishing and not trolling by yourself. Even if drifting, you would be surprised how fast a breeze can move your boat when you are in the water... Be safe.

Don't forget the handholds. Even with steps, you will have a tough time climbing up the transom without something to grab onto. You are right, the first step needs to be as low as you can make it on the transom, but you need a bar to grab to pull yourself up to get your foot onto it and leverage yourself up to the next.

I'm a diver and have seen plenty of poorly executed swim steps.

I'm hoping you're drift fishing and not trolling by yourself. Even if drifting, you would be surprised how fast a breeze can move your boat when you are in the water... Be safe.

Thank you members for your most helpful advice and concerns.