Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Wanted: Speaker Teak Trim Rings

I am looking for 3 of the original speaker trim rings from late 70's era Hatts. If anyone has any laying about, I'd be interested in them.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Wanted: Speaker Teak Trim Rings

If you are unable to find what you need, I will make three for you. I have 1981 48MY and currently have one ring down as I replace the speaker. I can use my CNC router to cut them and match what I have or you can send me one to duplicate. I have redone the interior of my boat and have several custom shaper blades among other tooling for a 1981 Hatteras. Also working on a 31 Express Cruiser. Happy to help if you like. Plenty of teak or afromosia in the plant so that will not be a problem. It is great to have a furniture manufacturing business at times like this.
    Kevin

What a great thing to do for a fellow Hatteras owner. How kind you are. Thanks for being a member here.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    What a great thing to do for a fellow Hatteras owner. How kind you are. Thanks for being a member here.
    Dito!!

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Gawd I love this site. Thank you for your generous offer. Of course, I will gladly cover the cost of whatever you need to get it done.

The bottom line is, I need 3 round trim pieces, and the ones for the speakers should work perfectly. Basically, all I need are 3 pieces, approx 6” – 7” outside diameter, and approx ¾” thick, with a centered hole that is anywhere from 4-3/8” to 4-3/4” in diameter, as the trim on the new lights is 5” in diameter, and the electrical box that they will fit over is 4-1/4" in diameter.

I am replacing the headliner in my boat, and in the process, also replacing the 3 old "fish eye" style surface mounted lights which are mounted over head forward in the salon. I'm putting in flush mount led lights, but I need to put electrical boxes behind them and there isn't enough room between the headliner and the ceiling to fit them. I have standard round plastic electrical boxes, 4.25” in diameter and 1.5” tall. They will protrude from the headliner by ¼”, and that is why I need the trim rings.

The headliner is now rigid, as I am gluing it to ¼” lauan panels, and screwing them to the ceiling.

The speaker trim pieces will fit around the electrical box and stand proud enough for me to mount the new lights in them.

Thanks again for your generous offer.
    Bob
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Bob,
    I will be at the boat tomorrow and will get dimensions from my speaker ring and see how the dimensions compare. If necessary I can email you a cad drawing of what I believe you are after and we can make them any size, shape or thickness you like. No sense settling for something if we are going to start from scratch. We can make exactly what you want.

Happy to help others with what I can. I just received 18 sheets of aframosia veneer that matches the veneer in the 1981 48MY and 31 Express Cruiser very well. Some will go to the 31 but there will be some left if anyone needs any. I have made new wing doors with the proper green tint polycarbonate (forget the manufacturer), cabinet doors, custom cabinets, many shapes of trim and numerous other bits and pieces.

Pm me for email or phone number.
    Kevin Kelly

Thanks, Kevin. I just sent you a detailed pm. Hope to speak with you soon.
    Bob

as an aside, have you replaced the speakers in the ceiling? if so which ones did you use that met
    the depth restriction?

thanks,

jim
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN