Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 53/58 YF Wanted

Re: 53/58 YF Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    OK, set me straight. Is it a YF or CMY? The upper outside deck seems small...... As in 53ED plus cockpit.
    Hatteras wasn't consistent with YF and CMY badge. A 58YF Has walk around deck a 58 CMY is full beam salon with the extended deck house.

If you look at the 61 CMY, it has the same deck layout as the 58YF, walk around deck and no extended deck house.

As you indicated your interested in a 53 or 58YF, I would suggest considering the benefits of the cockpit, water access is easier, for swimming and dunk boarding, line and fender handling are easier. When stern in boarding is easier (no need to deploy the steps ).

As for the extended deck house, it has benefits, with the galley up an extra state room more living space, in the full beam area.

The 58YF carries a little more fuel, the 58CMY likely does also.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Yes Glory. The 58 Yacht Fish is a 53 Hatteras Walk Around Motor Yacht with an added cockpit. The 58 Cockpit Motor Yacht was essentially a 53 Hatteras ED model with an added cockpit. The 53 Yacht Fish is a 53 walk around with a smaller aft deck and a smaller stateroom area.

Smile Re: 53/58 YF Wanted

Well yes and no. The 53 has a much larger back deck than the 58 YF. The cockpit on the 58 YF eats into the back deck a little. The cockpit is definitely something to consider as it has many advantages..........especially as one ages

I am never able to get the emojis where I want them!

I'm starting to get my head around it, I think.

The cockpit is a must, and the "aging" argument is dead on. I have visions of my dear bride and I crawling up the ladder on a straight up stern in a dark, choppy anchorage after reposing at the local fine dining facility...... Sort of like the harbor pilots crawling up the side of a super tanker. Not so much. That, and the cockpit would be a fine place for a storage box, maybe a sunfish you know.....stuff.

We also want the back deck. Screening in the porch and spending pleasant evenings there with room for 4 or 6 would be fantastic. The larger salons are nice, but not worth it at the cost of the outside living.

So, right now it looks like the 58YF is perfect. The only thing I don't like about it, or most of the other 1510's is the down galley. I suspect that I will increase the utility of the back deck unit with a burner. Prep the simple meals downstairs, chill and heat upstairs. Dedicated china and silver upstairs. Even considering a small breakfast bar. But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Just got last kid mostly off the payroll, house needs new roof blah blah blah......you get the idea. Little over 6 more years of work before I retire, although I'll be slowing down before hand, and hopefully be spending a winter month or two on the boat in warmer climes. It's a work in progress, We'll get there.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 05-31-2016 at 10:58 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Danny:

I would agree with the utility of the cockpit. We have a 67' 1993 EDCMY and regardless of the tide can a spot that is easy to board (deck, cockpit, or swim platform). The 67' has a handrail on the cockpit that really simplifies boarding. Now that we are in our later 60's, we are increasingly appreciating the layout. Ours is a galley up that is quite similar to the 70' but with a smaller aft deck. The more common from a listing perspective is 67' CMY, which is galley down. I am not sure how many of the EDCMY were built since they were in the era of the luxury tax and downturn in new boats.

If you want the aft deck, then the 58' YF would more likely meet your expectations. I would encourage you to at least take a look at the 67'. Although the Admiral is not into blood in the cockpit, ours has the rocket launchers, mounting plate for outriggers, and rod holders so suspect she was fished at some point. Being a confirmed boataholic on ~#12, it is our favorite boat of all time.

Asa

johnjen50, the 58yf is the same as a 53my with the cockpit added. i stripped a teak deck off of my back porch area and you could see where the escape hatch on a 53 would have been, it is not needed on a 58yf because it has a back window in the master stateroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Meadows View Post
    Hi....I'm looking for a clean 53/58 YF. Please let me know if you have one for sale or you know someone that has one for sale. Thanks, Danny
    Hi Danny, my wife and I have 1975 58' Yachtfish that is very fresh, clean, loaded and ready. My wife wants something easier to handle (downsize) and I love our Yachtfish. If you have an interest feel free to call me 954-646-7525.

There is a 53 YF that just hit the market in Alameda Ca. They have it on sale for 149k. The other Hatteras owners who know the boat say you can get it for 100k. It looked like a homeless person lived aboard. Junk everywhere. After the movers and cleaners got done the boat looked pretty good. Best of luck on your search.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

there is a 53 79? YF in alameda CA.. sf bay area, looks generaly good ..listed with New Era Yachts Dan broker. ( 1-510-867-8050)
    John Powell
    Our Get Away II
    1980 53 MY
    Alameda, Ca