Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

53MY "Kimeric" in grasonville MD

does anyone have any info ?? Boat was under contract then back on the market the buyer supposedly couldn't come up with the $$ per the broker. I have been on her 2x and it's not bad looking but I never made an offer cause something just didn't feel right. They lowered the price and my offer was verbally accepted. There is a bad turbo which owner will replace, I'm also looking for a good surveyor for the hull and the 8v71t's and a capt to run it to Cape May if everything goes well.

Re: 53MY "Kimeric" in grasonville MD

I looked at it with a friend back in early spring. its not a bad boat but definitely not a fan of the remodel work. It was too Home Depot Ish. The starboard engine room was loaded with oil. I don't think the broker Mike liked me telling him that most hatt owners wanted an unmolested boat and that the boat is really worth ** cash offer. The broker was comparing the boat to other 53 listings that still had OEM hatt construction. After researching the owners we came to the conclusion that the owner and his son died in a plane crash and the widow now had to sell the boat. The boat is named after his wife Kim and his son Eric I encouraged my buddy to put in a cash offer without a survey but he wasn't comfortable with that.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

A participant of this forum surveyed that boat recently. Perhaps he will respond.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Yes I knew of the owners unfortunate death. I'm ok w the cosmetics but more concerned with the structural and mechanicals. Broker is typical of most brokers I have dealt with and try for top dollar regardless of boats actual "worth". Would love to hear from recent surveyor.

It's the brokers job to represent his client and get top dollars for the boat. His job is not to get you a good deal which is why I always find it helpful to use a buyers broker.

As to being unmolested, personally I think our boats have become dated inside especially heads and galley. But upgrades need to be done with quality material or indeed it will become a showroom for cheap HD stuff
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Absolutely. All of our boats are at least decades old. If there is a wholly original Hatteras of any size out there, other than a late model one, I have yet to see it. Some of the things changed in older boats are good updates on the original designs (bed conversions, for example) and some are just replacements of wear items, but if you look at the brochure illustrations and then our boats.... well, a lot of water under the keel since they were built.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Yes I knew of the owners unfortunate death. I'm ok w the cosmetics but more concerned with the structural and mechanicals. Broker is typical of most brokers I have dealt with and try for top dollar regardless of boats actual "worth". Would love to hear from recent surveyor.
    Perhaps the forum member who paid for the survey will respond. He told me that he decided not to buy the boat due to the surveyor's findings.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Yes Pascal I know, I was once in real estate sales so I'm not bad mouthing brokers what I'm saying is they need to be upfront with some owners about what is a realistic starting price and boat is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. Sure there are buyers with more money than brains but most are boat and dollar wise. Withholding info on known problems is a good way to end up in court for both the seller and broker. I would love to hear about the survey as my list of things is quite long and I didn't venture too deep. As I said before I have seen this boat 2x and there's just something stopping me. The mrs and I both feel the same way, there wasn't any wow factor that we got from other 53's we saw.

Yes pascal I agree that the galley and the heads on these hats are dated but they are built with quality construction. My buddy also felt the same way with this boat something just didn't speak to him. When you see cabinets built with a pneumatic stapler and the ac with pvc Home Depot fittings below the water line and all the foax finishes it makes you wonder about the other systems in the boat. Personally I'm ok with changing things up but the quality needs to be first rate
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    Yes pascal I agree that the galley and the heads on these hats are dated but they are built with quality construction. My buddy also felt the same way with this boat something just didn't speak to him. When you see cabinets built with a pneumatic stapler and the ac with pvc Home Depot fittings below the water line and all the foax finishes it makes you wonder about the other systems in the boat. Personally I'm ok with changing things up but the quality needs to be first rate
    Nicely stated.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California