Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: 35' 1977 Viking Convertible

I've gotta tell ya, the thought crossed my mind more than once with my 58. I have some lake property and wondered how much it would cost to put it up on blocks with a big deck around the thing. It would beat the hell out of a mobile home, especially in a tornado.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Good to know there are other strange ones. I am reminded of a story a few years back where a guy bought a retired 727 for scrap alum price. Had wings sawed off, and then had fuselage and wings trucked to his lot in Or. Idea was to make it his home. You say why save the wings? Well he wanted an A/P not just a fuselage. But dang, he had a huge project to make this thing a home. Not so much with a yacht.
    Hear you on the tornados , Freebird. Why even way out here in Wa state, we have heard that these things target mobile homes.

Gary

The airplane thing has been done and discussed a good deal on net. Here's the how to .. http://www.airplanehome.com/ http://inhabitat.com/oregon-man-live...l-727-house-2/

There used to be a good number of "boats on land homes" around they Ches Bay. Some with decks and more. I think most were cleared out during the mid-2000's when most marina's sold in the great real estate boom/bust.

Heck, I've probably got some relatives in ENC living in cabin cruisers in their parents yard. Def a few in RV's ...
    Last edited by tellico; 05-06-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I've gotta tell ya, the thought crossed my mind more than once with my 58. I have some lake property and wondered how much it would cost to put it up on blocks with a big deck around the thing. It would beat the hell out of a mobile home, especially in a tornado.
    Cheaper and easier to dig a hole and bury it up to the waterline. Less stairs to climb. Do that with a convertible that has a transom door and you have a deck/patio. Plenty of storage in the basement with the engines removed, but you'd probably still need a bilge pump.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

5. Re: 35' 1977 Viking Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Cheaper and easier to dig a hole and bury it up to the waterline. Less stairs to climb. Do that with a convertible that has a transom door and you have a deck/patio. Plenty of storage in the basement with the engines removed, but you'd probably still need a bilge pump.
    Like this ?
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

And here I thought that for once in my life I had an original thought.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by GaryNW View Post
    Good to know there are other strange ones. I am reminded of a story a few years back where a guy bought a retired 727 for scrap alum price. Had wings sawed off, and then had fuselage and wings trucked to his lot in Or. Idea was to make it his home. You say why save the wings? Well he wanted an A/P not just a fuselage. But dang, he had a huge project to make this thing a home. Not so much with a yacht.
    Hear you on the tornados , Freebird. Why even way out here in Wa state, we have heard that these things target mobile homes.

Gary
    I'm working on a patent for my inflatable mobile home decoys as we speak. Whenever there is a tornado warning issued, they automatically inflate as to attract any incoming twister.

The deluxe package includes inflatable yard art including junk cars for those really savvy tornadoes.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    But I like stairs and decks and was considering a moat which would not only be functional for security purposes, I could still enjoy the sound of water slapping against the hull.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I like the moat. You could hang a rod and go coi fishing.

1970 36C375

Coi hell, I'm stocking it with largemouth bass that have been bred with piranhas. They'll give you a good fight and a good bite at the same time while providing an emergency food source when the zombie apocalypse comes.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93