Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Re: 35' 1977 Viking Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    If you are going to spend (waste) lots of time fixing an old boat up, and spend lots of money just getting it safe to use....then why not at least spend both on something nicer than a crapped out viking?
    See after the Survey you could say that if she comes back wet.. Yet we are not there..

I saw the pictures, I don't need a survey.

My friend but the same brand RV as me but paid about 1/2. Mine was turnkey ready to go with just a few normal maintenance wear and tear items. He still hasn't got all the systems repaired on his and his time, headache, and $$ spent is now up to what mine cost...and I just got in and drove.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by 2swift View Post
    Hmmm For what ever reason I stopped getting Email notices on reply's to this thread.

After reading a lot of the responses I'm almost to the point of buying the boat with the soul purpose of showing Randy what Can be done with this old girl
    with my skill set and resources. Money isn't the point of the Topic. Getting this Vessel that is very likely to be chosen up and running and using the skill
    set and knoledge of this forums member base is my current goal. I Know this Boat. I like this boat...And My Wife Wants this boat...AKa Sugar Mama.
    So let move past The Why not and onto the to does! That should be even more fun! Right?
    It's not a matter of what can be done but a matter of practicality in doing what needs to be done. It's like restoring a Yugo. It may be fun, but it's still going to be a Yugo when you're finished, and nobody will want it when you're tired of it.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by 2swift View Post
    See after the Survey you could say that if she comes back wet.. Yet we not there..
    I think you're missing the point here. If you want a project boat that's fine. I improved every boat I've owned and was able to move up to where I am by buying the right boat for the right price and then improve the boat and its value. This boat isn't one of them. There's little to no market for older Vikings and this particular model is one of the worse. A similar size a vintage Hatteras, Bertram or Chris Craft would be a much wiser choice. You'd still never get your money back from a project boat but you'd have a good boat when finished and when it's time ho sell you'll have something move valuable than a '70s gas powered Viking. You could buy a much better boat for the money you will spend on this one and not have to do all the work. You will save a lot by DIYing it but the parts cost will be more than the finished boat is worth.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Just out of curiosity (and maybe to help Pat), what do you think it would cost to dispose of a boat like this if it came to that?
    I have another idea for getting rid of it. Find some dreamer who thinks they can fix it up and sell it to them cheap.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I have another idea for getting rid of it. Find some dreamer who thinks they can fix it up and sell it to them cheap.
    Hey, that idea seems to be working for the current owner.

Sorry, Pat.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I saw the pictures, I don't need a survey.

My friend but the same brand RV as me but paid about 1/2. Mine was turnkey ready to go with just a few normal maintenance wear and tear items. He still hasn't got all the systems repaired on his and his time, headache, and $$ spent is now up to what mine cost...and I just got in and drove.
    My thoughts exactly. What's in those pics isn't terrible but we haven't seen the rest of the boat. Why fix one when you can get a good one for not much more. A good, clean, updated 3208 one would still be under 30K. Dave's old Bertram was in good shape and had been repowered with 375HP 3208s. Still took a long time to sell and the owner ended up selling it cheap. Why on earth would anyone buy an old 35 Viking project when there are so many good boats out there cheap?
    Jack Sardina

I don't recall whether or not Swifty posted it on here, but his wife has problems with diesel giving her really bad headaches.

That point aside, there are most definitely better buys out there. As I told him, the only thing a survey is going to accomplish (other than wasting money) is showing that boat is a bigger disaster than it already appears to be. It's a no win proposition.

We're not trying to beat you up, Pat, we just don't want to see you get burned. I'm sure you understand that, and it has nothing to do with your capabilities.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I don't recall whether or not Swifty posted it on here, but his wife has problems with diesel giving her really bad headaches.

That point aside, there are most definitely better buys out there. As I told him, the only thing a survey is going to accomplish (other than wasting money) is showing that boat is a bigger disaster than it already appears to be. It's a no win proposition.

We're not trying to beat you up, Pat, we just don't want to see you get burned. I'm sure you understand that, and it has nothing to do with your capabilities.
    I get the no diesel issue. I had a friend who's wife had the same issue. They went from a gas boat to a diesel boat. She tried a few times but couldn't tolerate the exhaust. Engines ran clean and boat was in good order she just couldn't stand the smell of the fuel or the exhaust. Boat sat for a year unused and then they sold it for a gasser. I hope Pat understands that we aren't a bunch of Hatteras snobs that won't endorse anything but a pristine Hatt. We're also not a bunch of rich guys who think that spending more is the answer. What we are trying to advise on is the feasibility of fixing up one of these old boats. We also understand that it doesn't need to be restored to new condition either but it does need to be safe, sound and operational. I have a fair amount of experience with these boats and at one point had the 35 Viking on my list of boats to buy. Thankfully I was educated by others and discovered many of the issues first hand with boats I was looking at. I've since seen many 70s and 80's Vikings with significant structural issues, mainly the stringers. Viking stringers are plywood wrapped in FRP. FRP isn't enough to be structural and the limber holes aren't glassed or sealed leaving the wood core exposed. A friend of mine had one of the nicest 48C Vikings I've ever seen. After many years of ownership he needed an insurance survey. Surveyor found all stringers rotted and the engine beds were sagging due to the bad stringers. Only way to properly fix the boat was to gut it, fix the stringers and then put it all back together. Several yards and techs looked at the boat and all said that was the only way to fix it. Estimates were in the low to mid $400K range. That same year another 48 Viking nearly sank because the engine stringer collapsed and the engine and gear dropped while running mid 20kts and 40 miles offshore. I know of several 35, 41, 45 and 48 Vikings that had transmission issues due to poor stringers causing misalignment. I've also been told by a Viking service manager that there isn't a Viking built up until the mid '90's that doesn't have a wet transom that will need to be re-cored. Well maintained ones and ones that have been properly repaired are best but the design and build flaws are there and not easy to overcome.
    Jack Sardina

Listen to the man, Pat. We don't want to have to change your username to Not2swift.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93